Carmen Pignatiello Rumors
Does anybody else think that Brian Roberts' agent fuels 90% of these rumors just so his client's name is kept in the news? Me neither...Now that we have gotten the obligatory Roberts reference out of the way, let's move on to some trades/signings that might actually happen in the near future. The biggest of course is the recent news that talks may be heating up with the Red Sox to move Coco Crisp. So far we know that the Sox are not interested in Jason Marquis or Sam Fuld and the Padres may only be having internal discussions at this point (although one writer does not see the Padres as serious suitors). Let's take a look at what is being written about Crisp and a few others in the Blogosphere...
If there is a topic you would like to see covered in "Baseball Blogs Weigh In" please let me know HERE.
- Red Sox News doesn't like the rumored offer of Jason Marquis and Sam Fuld for Crisp. More likely they believe a package of Josh Donaldson and either Bobby Howry or Carmen Pignatiello could be accepted by the Sox.
- Boston Sports Buzz sees Crisp as a nice solution for the Padres, since they currently employ one utility player and two injuries-waiting-to-happen in the outfield while lacking a legitimate leadoff hitter.
- El Guapo's Ghost also sees the Padres as the logical destination for Crisp, noting that prospect Kyle Blanks may be expendable for the Pads and fill the vacancy of power-hitting prospects in the Red Sox organization.
- Hire Jim Essian is not too keen on Crisp, so they are rooting hard for Felix Pie to play well and keep "punching the baseball in its stupid face."
- Goat Riders is not crazy about Crisp playing center for the Cubbies, but prefer him to the alternatives.
- Right Field Bleachers notes that the Brewers may trade Chris Capuano before Opening Day as he needs a change of scenery and he still has some value on the market. They do not see the Red Sox as a good match since the Brew Crew does not need a center fielder (i.e. Crisp).
- Rockin' the Red laments the loss of another starting pitcher and acknowledges that it is time to look outside the organization for help. They would rather the Cardinals sign Kyle Lohse as opposed to Jeff Weaver.
- Viva El Birdos would also prefer Lohse to any other outside options, and would opt for in-house options if Lohse is not signed.
The Chicago Tribune's Paul Sullivan has a new column up discussing a couple of outfielders in the Cubs' sights aside from Kosuke Fukudome. Apparently they're after someone who can handle center field in case Felix Pie falters.
- Those Josh Hamilton rumors are real - and the Reds are asking for Sean Marshall. I think the Cubs would pull the trigger on that one. Jerry Crasnick first suggested this match about five hours ago. He thought Marshall wouldn't be enough and I agreed. Guess we'll see. Sullivan notes that Lou Piniella had some contact with Hamilton back when he managed the Devil Rays.
- The Cubs are also in talks regarding Nate McLouth. Sullivan thinks McLouth would come cheap - for a reliever like Carmen Pignatiello, Neal Cotts, or Will Ohman. Damn, that's cheap. We learned today that the Giants, Padres, and Marlins like McLouth; Sullivan adds the Braves to the mix as well.