- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Jon Lester Traded To Unknown Team
- New York Notes: Yanks, Byrd, Murphy, Colon
- John Lackey Rumors: Thursday
- Blue Jays Focused On Pitching Upgrades
- Four Teams Have Checked On Asdrubal Cabrera
- Jon Lester Rumors: Thursday
- Red Sox Feel They Can Re-Sign Miller If Traded
- Cardinals, Pirates Making Strongest Bids For Lester
- Dan Runzler Released To Pursue Opportunity In Japan
- Reds Make Ryan Ludwick Available
- NL Notes: Phillies, Dodgers, Nationals
- Quick Hits: Blue Jays, Braves, Yankees, Byrd, Tigers, Padres
- Twins Unlikely To Deal Josh Willingham Before Deadline
- Giants Weighing Options With Dan Uggla, Option Tyler Colvin
- Latest On Marlins’ Starting Pitching Search
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Jerry Blevins Rumors
The latest players to clear waivers and be outrighted…
- The Diamondbacks announced that they have outrighted Yhency Brazoban to Triple-A in a press release. The 31-year-old right-hander struck out eight and walked four in six relief innings for Arizona over the last few weeks. He allowed eight hits and four runs.
- Southpaw reliever Tommy Hottovy, designated for assignment by the Red Sox on Saturday, cleared waivers and has been outrighted to Triple-A, tweets ESPN's Gordon Edes.
- Athletics lefty Jerry Blevins cleared waivers and is headed to Triple-A as well, tweets John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
The A's announced that they designated Jerry Blevins for assignment. The left-hander, who loses his 25-man roster spot to Guillermo Moscoso, remains on Oakland's 40-man roster, just as he did when Oakland designated him for assignment in May. The move is simply procedural and does not expose Blevins to other clubs.
The 27-year-old has a 3.86 ERA with 8.3 K/9 and 7.7 BB/9 in 16 1/3 innings for Oakland this year. He has also logged 19 1/3 innings at Triple-A, where he has a 5.12 ERA with 10.7 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9. The former 17th round pick has appeared in parts of five seasons for Oakland.
Today the Brewers claimed Danny Herrera from Cincinnati, the Reds optioned Edinson Volquez to the minors and Josh Hamilton homered in his return from the disabled list. The connection? Back in December of 2007, the Rangers sent Herrera and Volquez to Cincinnati for Hamilton. Here are the latest links from around the league…
- The Brewers optioned Herrera to Triple-A Nashville and moved left-hander Manny Parra to the 60-day DL, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (on Twitter).
- One Blue Jays person told Danny Knobler of CBSSports that Jose Bautista is “our Derek Jeter.” Bautista hit homer #19 today as the Blue Jays defeated Jeter’s Yankees.
- Mike Axisa of River Ave. Blues points out that recently-designated southpaw Jerry Blevins could be an appealing option for the Yankees if they're looking for more upside than Randy Flores offers.
- Earlier today, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes suggested that the Yankees are one of many contenders that could look for lefty relief.
The Athletics designated lefty reliever Jerry Blevins for assignment, tweets the team. The move opens a spot on the active roster for Josh Outman, who is scheduled to make his first Major League appearance in nearly two years tonight.
Blevins, 27, appeared in 15 games for the A's this year. He struck out 13 but walked 13 in 14 1/3 innings. In his career, he's handled lefties very well: a 10.3 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, and 0.83 HR/9 in 54 innings. The A's should be able to find a trade partner within the next ten days.
The Cubs made a deal tonight, sending catcher Rob Bowen and pitcher Jerry Blevins to the Athletics for Jason Kendall and cash. (ESPN keeps saying it was Sean Marshall going to Oakland, which is silly and not true).
Kendall had a respectable .758 OPS in June, but his bat has been anemic otherwise. But as signified by the questionable Michael Barrett trade, the Cubs are looking for defense at catcher. (Incidentally, Jim Hendry acquired Barrett from Beane in December of ’03 for Damian Miller). Kendall can certainly handle the pitching staff. And it wouldn’t be shocking to see him hit a little bit back in the NL; he rarely strikes out and knows how to draw a walk.
The Cubs didn’t give up much here. Bowen is a backup at best. Blevins, a southpaw reliever, will turn 24 in September. He’s been dominant in 53 innings between High A and Double A, but he’s not anyone’s idea of a top prospect. I like the move for the Cubs. As for Oakland, it gives them a chance to try Kurt Suzuki full-time for a few months as an audition for 2008.