Laynce Nix Rumors


Reds Notes: Renteria, Votto, Podsednik, Nix

Votto 
Let's take a look at some Reds-related tidbits courtesy of The Cincinnati Enquirer's John Fay..

  • Fay writes that "it is believed" that the Reds have made an offer to free agent shortstop Edgar Renteria.  The veteran said that the Giants' offer of $1MM showed "a lack of respect", leaving the Reds with a chance of signing the 2010 World Series MVP.
  • The news of Carlos Gonzalez's impending seven-year, $80MMM deal with the Rockies will likely have a ripple effect on the Reds' talks with Joey Votto.  Reds GM Walt Jocketty says that he hasn't seen the numbers on Cargo's new contract but Cincy can expect Votto to ask for even more money.  The 27-year-old, Fay writes, had two very good years prior to his brilliant season in 2010 while last year was Gonzalez's first in the majors.  Jocketty says that he hasn't talked to Votto's representation in recent weeks however due to the holidays.
  • The Reds are reportedly close to signing Jeremy Hermida to a minor league deal but they may continue to look for a left-handed hitting outfielder.  Jocketty confirmed that he talked to the agents for Fred Lewis and Scott Podsednik before the holidays.  
  • Speaking of left-handed hitting outfielders, the Reds haven't had any recent contact with Laynce Nix.  The Reds were under the impression that Nix was Seattle-bound after receiving a contract offer from the M's in December, but no deal has been reached.

Photo courtesy of Icon SMI.



Mariners Offer Contract To Laynce Nix

The Mariners added Jack Cust and Miguel Olivo at the Winter Meetings, but they continue to tinker.  The Ms offered a contract to outfielder Laynce Nix, tweets John Hickey of AOL Fanhouse.

Nix, 30, hit .291/.350/.455 in 182 plate appearances across 97 games for the Reds this year, playing mostly left field.  He was shielded against lefties by manager Dusty Baker.  Nix missed most of September with an ankle injury and was outrighted in November.



Laynce Nix Becomes A Free Agent

Laynce Nix has cleared waivers, refused an outright assignment and become a free agent, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon (on Twitter). The 30-year-old batted .291/.350/.455 in 182 plate appearances this year after the Reds signed him to a minor league deal.

Nix played all three outfield positions for the second consecutive season, spending most of his time in left field. However, he missed weeks with a sprained left ankle in August and September and saw his homer total drop from 15 to four. The left-handed hitter has handled righties (.738 OPS) much better than lefties (.521 OPS) over the course of his eight-year MLB career.



Odds & Ends: Green, Oswalt, Mets, Gaudin, Werth

Links for Saturday....



Reds Agree To Minor League Deal With Nix

The Reds agreed to sign Laynce Nix to a minor league deal, tweets John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. Nix became a free agent about a month ago, but the Reds stayed in contact with him and ultimately brought him back. Nix set a career high with 15 homers this year, hitting .239/.291/.476 in 337 plate appearances for the Reds.



Reds Notes: Gomes, Nix, Amezaga

Some Reds notes courtesy of John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who spoke to GM Walt Jocketty...

  • Jocketty says the club is "open" to bringing back recently non-tendered Jonny Gomes. Talking to Gomes last night, Jocketty told the outfielder that they would like to "make it work," but didn't want to be locked in by arbitration.
  • The GM continues to chat with Laynce Nix's agent and says something is "pretty close" to getting done.  Nix elected free agency after being outrighted by the Reds in November.
  • Fay mentioned the name of Alfredo Amezaga, who was non-tendered by the Marlins last night. While Jocketty noted that he is a good athlete, he mentioned that he has trouble staying healthy.



Odds & Ends: Reed Johnson, Laynce Nix, Counsell

Links for Monday, the first day of the Winter Meetings in Indianapolis...



Reds Notes: Jocketty, Nix, Gomes

John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer gathered a few bits of information Saturday from Reds general manager Walt Jocketty:

  • The Reds have made an offer to Laynce Nix, who was outrighted off the 40-man roster this week and elected free agency.  Jocketty believes he "may take it" but first wants to "see what's out there."
  • Jocketty believes the Reds will be able to "get something done" with arbitration-eligible outfielder Jonny Gomes, who hit .267/.338/.541 in 2009 with 20 home runs and 51 RBI. It's not clear if the two sides are talking about a multi-year deal, but that would make some sense.
  • Jocketty also had some nice things to say about the prospects that the Reds added to their 40-man roster on Friday, protecting them from December's Rule 5 Draft.

To track the Reds throughout the offseason, check out MLBTR's team archive.



Laynce Nix Elects Free Agency

Outfielder Laynce Nix has been outrighted by the Reds and elected free agency, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon.  Nix was considered a non-tender candidate, as the Reds have plenty of outfielders already.  In a few weeks they must decide whether to tender Jonny Gomes a contract (seems like a good idea to me).

Nix, 29, received the most playing time of his career since 2004 this year.  He hit .239/.291/.476 in 337 plate appearances, knocking 15 home runs and playing left field.  Reds manager Dusty Baker shielded him from left-handed pitching most of the year.



Reds Notes: Taveras, Owings, Gomes

MLB.com's Mark Sheldon cleaned out his inbox and answered a few questions from Reds fans today.  Here are some of the more pertinent details...

  • The team would like to move Willy Taveras if they could, but there are very few takers for a player who posted a .240/.275/.285 line in 2009 and is due to make $4MM next season.  Given his limited abilities and how Shelton feels that Taveras wouldn't be happy on the bench, the Reds have to consider cutting their losses with Taveras and releasing him.
  • Micah Owings will likely not be used as trade bait, given that he is expected to compete for the fifth spot in the rotation and is also valuable out of the bullpen or as a pinch-hitter.
  • Sheldon thinks that between Jonny Gomes and Laynce Nix, Gomes has "the better chance" of being tendered a contract.
  • If neither man is brought back, Cincinnati will turn to a variety of in-house options for the left field job, including Wladimir Balentien, Chris Dickerson or prospects Juan Francisco, Chris Heisey and Todd Frazier.
  • Sheldon believes Joey Votto "has earned the right" to remain as Cincinnati's everyday first baseman, and the Reds would only consider moving their young slugger to left field if prospect Yonder Alonso proved he was ready for the major leagues.
  • No surprise here, but Shelton confirms that the Reds don't have the payroll to go after major free agents like Matt Holliday or Jason Bay.









Lijit Search




Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner







NAVIGATION

Site Map
Archives
Feeds by Team

MLBTR INFO

Advertise
About
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy

CONNECT

Contact Us
Widget
Twitter
Facebook
Rss Feed


MLB Trade Rumors is a partner of FanVsFan. MLB Trade Rumors is not affiliated with Major League Baseball, MLB or MLB.com.