The Dodgers have now taken the NL West for five consecutive seasons. But the current roster wasn’t exactly built with just that in mind. The big-city organization hasn’t won the World Series since way back in 1988.
President of baseball operations Andrew Friedman and GM Farhan Zaidi were looking to construct a powerhouse. At mid-season, they struck a deal to land ace Yu Darvish to an already-loaded rotation. Despite a late-season lull, the team racked up 104 wins.
Here’s how it all came together:
- HOMEGROWN (7)
- Kenley Jansen, RP: International Free Agent (Curacao) November ’04. Re-signed to five-year, $80MM contract in January ’17.
- Pedro Baez, RP: International Free Agent (D.R.) January ’07
- Clayton Kershaw, SP: Drafted 1st Rd (7) ’06
- Corey Seager, SS: Drafted 1st Rd (18) ’12
- Ross Stripling, RP: Drafted 5th Rd ’12
- Cody Bellinger, 1B/OF: Drafted 4th Rd ’13
- Kyle Farmer, C: Drafted 8th Rd ’13
- ACQUIRED VIA FREE AGENCY (4)
- Yasiel Puig, OF: June ’12 (Cuba) — Signed to a seven-year, $42MM contract.
- Justin Turner, 3B: February ’14 (NYM) — Signed to a minor league contract. Re-signed to four-year, $64MM contract in January ’17.
- Kenta Maeda, SP: January ’16 (Japan) — Signed to an eight-year, $25MM contract. Dodgers also paid a $20MM posting fee for his negotiating rights.
- Brandon Morrow, RP: January ’17 (SD) — Signed to a minor league contract.
- ACQUIRED VIA TRADE (14)
- Andre Ethier, OF: December ’05 (OAK) — Acquired in the trade that sent Milton Bradley and Antonio Perez to the Athletics.
- Yasmani Grandal, C: December ’14 (SD) — Acquired in the trade that sent Matt Kemp and Tim Federowicz to the Padres.
- Austin Barnes, C: December ’14 (MIA) — Acquired in the trade that sent Dan Haren, Dee Gordon and Miguel Rojas to the Marlins.
- Enrique Hernandez, INF/OF: December ’14 (MIA) — Acquired in the trade that sent Dan Haren, Dee Gordon and Miguel Rojas to the Marlins.
- Alex Wood, SP: July ’15 (ATL) — Acquired in the three-team trade that sent Hector Olivera, Paco Rodriguez and Zachary Bird to the Braves and Kevin Guzman, Jeff Brigham and Victor Araujo to the Marlins.
- Chase Utley, INF: August ’15 (PHI) — Acquired in the trade that sent Darnell Sweeney and John Richy to the Phillies.
- Chris Taylor, INF/OF: June ’16 (SEA) — Acquired in the trade that sent Zach Lee to the Mariners.
- Rich Hill, SP: August ’16 (OAK) — Acquired in the trade that sent Frankie Montas, Grant Holmes, and Jharel Cotton to the Athletics.
- Josh Fields, RP: August ’16 (HOU) — Acquired in the trade that sent Yordan Alvarez to the Astros.
- Logan Forsythe, INF: January ’17 (TB) — Acquired in the trade that sent Jose De Leon to the Rays.
- Yu Darvish, SP: July ’17 (TEX) — Acquired in the trade that sent Willie Calhoun, Brendon Davis and A.J. Alexy to the Rangers.
- Tony Cingrani, RP: July ’17 (CIN) — Acquired in the trade that sent Scott Van Slyke and Hendrik Clementina to the Reds.
- Tony Watson, RP: July ’17 (PIT) — Acquired in the trade that sent Oneil Cruz and Angel German to the Pirates.
- Curtis Granderson, OF: August ’17 (NYM) — Acquired in the trade that sent Jacob Rhame to the Mets.
Los Angeles will lose some players to the open market at the end of the year, but all were signed to one-year pacts last winter or added over the summer via trade. That means that the core of the club will remain under control — in many cases well into the future. No matter how things turn out this fall, though, there will likely be quite a few interesting opportunities for the always-creative Dodgers front office to pursue over the offseason to come.