Farhan Zaidi was hired as the Giants’ president of baseball operations from the archrival Dodgers in November 2018. The club has largely eschewed headline-grabbing moves since, but the front office has been as active as any on the waiver wire. That emphasis on low-cost additions to the margins of the roster has extended to the trade market. It’s still too early to judge Zaidi’s overall body of work, but some of the lesser-heralded names have produced strong early returns.
Equally as noteworthy as the deals Zaidi has made are the ones he hasn’t. The club didn’t move impending free agents Madison Bumgarner or Will Smith at last summer’s deadline. In Zaidi’s defense, the club sat at 55-53 last July 31, just two games back of the second NL Wild Card (and eventual World Series champion) Nationals. They surely also considered the draft compensation they were in line to receive this winter if each signed elsewhere as qualified free agents (as both ultimately did). Yet the Giants never looked especially likely to make a deep playoff run (Fangraphs gave them just a 5.9% shot of reaching the postseason at the time). There was certainly a case to be made they should’ve acted as a decisive seller. Instead, they pursued something of a middle-ground, trading away a few notable relievers while also making further marginal acquisitions.
With that second-guessing out of the way, we’ll turn to the moves Zaidi’s front office has struck since he took charge in SF (excluding the most minor transactions).
- Acquired RHP Trevor Gott from Nationals for cash considerations
- Acquired INF/OF Connor Joe from Reds for RHP Jordan Johnson and cash considerations
- Acquired OF Mike Yastrzemski from Orioles for RHP Tyler Herb
- Acquired LHP Williams Jerez from Angels for RHP Chris Stratton
- Acquired RHP Jesus Ozoria from Mariners for C Tom Murphy
- Acquired OF Kevin Pillar from Blue Jays for RHP Derek Law, INF/OF Alen Hanson and RHP Juan De Paula
- Acquired 1B/OF Tyler Austin from Twins for OF Malique Ziegler
- Acquired OF Alex Dickerson from Padres for RHP Franklin Van Gurp
- Acquired RHP Prelander Berroa, OF Jaylin Davis and RHP Kai-Wei Teng from Twins for RHP Sam Dyson
- Acquired IF/OF Mauircio Dubon from Brewers for LHP Drew Pomeranz and RHP Ray Black
- Acquired RHP Tristan Beck and RHP Dan Winkler from Braves for RHP Mark Melancon
- Acquired 2B Scooter Gennett from Reds for cash considerations
- Acquired OF Joe McCarthy from Rays for LHP Jacob Lopez
- Acquired IF Will Wilson and INF Zack Cozart (released thereafter) from Angels for LHP Garrett Williams
How would you grade Zaidi’s first year-plus on the trade market? (Poll link for app users).
Curious to look back on additional GMs and their trade histories?
We’ve already polled on Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen, recently fired Astros president Jeff Luhnow, Brewers president of baseball ops David Stearns, Angels GM Billy Eppler, Rockies GM Jeff Bridich, Tigers GM Al Avila, Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos, Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins, Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto, Phillies GM Matt Klentak, Padres GM A.J. Preller, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, Rays GM Erik Neander, ex-Red Sox front office leader Dave Dombrowski, Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen, Reds GM Dick Williams, Orioles GM Mike Elias and former Diamondbacks GM Dave Stewart.