Dave Dombrowski’s ousting as general manager of the Tigers back in 2015 was a stunner throughout the baseball world. Just days after orchestrating a rare deadline sell-off for the AL Central powerhouse — David Price and Yoenis Cespedes were both shipped out in deals that netted Matthew Boyd and Michael Fulmer, respectively — Dombrowski was cut loose.
Most expected that Dombrowski, one of MLB’s most respected front-office figures, would another job in short order… but probably not as quickly as he ultimately did. Barely two weeks after being dismissed in Detroit, Dombrowski was named president of baseball operations for the Red Sox — a move that prompted general manager Ben Cherington to step down less than two years after his club had won a World Series.
As it turned out, Dombrowski’s tenure in Boston would closely mirror that of Cherington’s; his time in charge was relatively brief, and he was gone not long after winning a World Series. Less than year after capturing a championship in 2018, Dombrowski got the boot.
Let’s take a look back at Dealin’ Dave’s trade history in Boston…
- Acquired RHP Craig Kimbrel from the Padres in exchange for SS Javy Guerra, OF Manuel Margot, LHP Logan Allen and 2B Carlos Asuaje
- Acquired RHP Carson Smith and LHP Roenis Elias from the Mariners in exchange for LHP Wade Miley and RHP Jonathan Aro
- Acquired 2B/3B Aaron Hill and cash from the Brewers in exchange for RHP Aaron Wilkerson and INF Wendell Rijo
- Acquired INF/OF Michael Martinez from the Indians in exchange for cash
- Acquired RHP Brad Ziegler from the D-backs in exchange for RHP Jose Almonte and OF Luis Alejandro Basabe
- Acquired LHP Drew Pomeranz from the Padres in exchange for RHP Anderson Espinoza
- Acquired LHP Fernando Abad from the Twins in exchange for RHP Pat Light
- Acquired RHP Tyler Thornburg from the Brewers in exchange for 3B Travis Shaw, 2B/SS Mauricio Dubon and RHP Josh Pennington
- Acquired LHP Chris Sale from the White Sox in exchange for 2B/3B Yoan Moncada, RHP Michael Kopech, OF Luis Alexander Basabe and RHP Victor Diaz
- Acquired 2B Josh Tobias from the Phillies in exchange for RHP Clay Buchholz
- Acquired INF Eduardo Nunez from the Giants in exchange for RHPs Shaun Anderson and Gregory Santos
- Acquired RHP Addison Reed from the Mets in exchange for RHPs Gerson Bautista, Jamie Callahan and Stephen Nogosek
- Acquired OF Rajai Davis from the Athletics in exchange for OF Rafael Rincones
- Acquired C Mike Ohlman from the Rangers in exchange for cash
- Acquired OF Ramon Flores from the D-backs in exchange for cash
- Acquired RHP Josh Taylor from the D-backs as PTBNL for SS Deven Marrero
- Acquired RHP Nathan Eovaldi from the Rays in exchange for LHP Jalen Beeks
- Acquired 2B Ian Kinsler from the Angels in exchange for RHP Ty Buttrey and LHP Williams Jerez
- Acquired OF Marcus Wilson from the D-backs in exchange for C/OF Blake Swihart and $500K international bonus slot
- Acquired RHP Andrew Cashner and cash from the Orioles in exchange for OF Elio Prado and INF Noelberth Romero
We’ll revisit Dombrowski’s trade histories with other clubs in separate posts, but the question for now: How do MLBTR readers grade Dombrowski’s work as the Red Sox’ baseball ops boss? (Link to poll for Trade Rumors mobile app users.)
Interested in how other GMs hold up under this exercise? We’ve covered Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen, recently fired Astros president Jeff Luhnow, Brewers president of baseball ops David Stearns, Angels GM Billy Eppler, Rockies GM Jeff Bridich, Tigers GM Al Avila, Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos, Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins, Mariners’ GM Jerry Dipoto, Phillies’ GM Matt Klentak, Dodgers’ president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman and Rays GM Erik Neander as well.