Some good info surfacing regarding the Royals, as usual courtesy of the KC Star’s Bob Dutton.
- While Joakim Soria will remain in the pen, the Royals want to add more relief help. They could re-sign David Riske, and even plan to contact Francisco Cordero’s agent (Bean Stringfellow). Bringing back Octavio Dotel is also being considered, though Soria would remain the closer.
- Ron Mahay is on the radar. It’s thought that he’ll require something close to a three-year, $12MM deal as one of the better southpaw relievers out there. Riske wants a deal like that too. Dayton, just take the draft pick.
- I’ve yet to mention here Dayton Moore’s quotes. Basically, steroid allegations won’t affect the team’s pursuit of any player, meaning they still like Jose Guillen. It’s not surprising to see GMs moving in this direction.
- Japan presents options such as Hitoki Iwase, Kazuo Fukumori, and Yashuhiko Yabuta. New manager Trey Hillman observed Iwase up close this year.
- What about more starting pitching? The Royals like Carlos Silva, Hiroki Kuroda, Kris Benson, Matt Clement, and Jason Jennings. Something useful could come out of that.
- By the way, the Royals saw Glendon Rusch work out recently. The swingman came up as a Royal before being traded to the Mets in ’99.