A few notes from this evening…
- Michael Barrett and the Padres avoided arbitration, arriving at a $3.5MM deal. A little less than I expected given his $4.6MM salary in ’07. If some team acquires Barrett on the cheap he could bounce back if he’s comfortable. Wasn’t long ago he was one of the better-hitting catchers in the game. Is there even a slight chance he wouldn’t embarrass himself back at the hot corner?
- Great ShysterBall post in reference to Curt Schilling‘s attempt to call out Roger Clemens.
- Sandy Koufax did not do steroids.
- Derrick Goold looks at how David Eckstein ended up leaving the Cardinals despite his desire to stay.
- LENIII says it’s possible nothing has happened on the Johan Santana front since the Meetings ended. Neal also names Kris Benson as a pitcher on the Twins’ radar. They were one of many teams watching his recent session. Plus they were eyeing Glendon Rusch before he signed with the Padres.