As we near June, trade rumors will start to pick up. It’s always fun to try to find teams with matching needs. With that in mind, I’m going to profile available players at each position on the diamond. Today we’ll start with catchers. Let me know in the comments if you have anyone to add.
- Ramon Hernandez, Orioles. The O’s are playing surprisingly well, but Hernandez is not hitting. He makes $7.5MM this year, $8MM in ’09, and has an $8.5MM option for ’10 with a $1MM buyout. I imagine the Orioles would like to move that contract.
- Gerald Laird, Rangers. The Rangers aren’t out of contention quite yet. When they are, it’ll be time for Laird to step aside for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Laird, a Boras client, is under team control through 2010. He’s having an improved year at the plate.
- Ronny Paulino, Pirates. Once Ryan Doumit returns in June, the Bucs can at least consider moving Paulino.
- Paul Lo Duca and Johnny Estrada, Nationals. Couple of bad signings…if either veteran returns to health he could be traded for scraps.
- Paul Bako and Javier Valentin, Reds. Bako had a nice April and is hitting well above his career norm.
- Yorvit Torrealba, Rockies. With Chris Iannetta seemingly living up to his potential, Torrealba becomes a relatively pricey luxury.
- Bengie Molina, Giants. He’s a solid bat and is signed for ’09 at $6MM.
- Michael Barrett, Padres. Currently on a rehab assignment, Barrett could be one of several veterans purged by the Padres.