Hot stove highlights from Jayson Stark’s latest…
- Stark sees the Mets picking up Carlos Delgado‘s $12MM option for ’09, taking them out of the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes. He sees the Yankees in the mix for Tex. Will Teixeira top the $140MM the Rangers offered him?
- The Yanks will also pursue a top flight starting pitcher, with C.C. Sabathia and Ben Sheets as Plans A and B.
- Stark does not see the Braves diving into megadeals for Sabathia, Sheets, or A.J. Burnett. They’ll have payroll room, but could pursue trades or mid-tier free agents.
- Stark says friends of Tom Glavine and John Smoltz indicate they both want another go at it in ’09. They’re hoping the Braves will offer low-base incentivized deals. If the Braves spurn Glavine, I wonder if he’ll sign with the Nationals.
- Mike Lamb and the Phillies have mutual interest. A trade might make more sense than awaiting his release, so that he’d be eligible for the postseason roster.
- A friend of Raul Ibanez says the Mariners are unlikely to convince him to re-sign. They’ll snag a couple of draft picks if they offer arbitration and he signs elsewhere. The prospect of losing a draft pick makes Ibanez less attractive to other teams though.
- The Dodgers are considering re-signing Casey Blake and moving Blake DeWitt to second base.