Let's take a look at the latest column from ESPN's Jayson Stark.
- Stark wonders why no one has questioned MLB's apparent trade deadline extension for the Manny Ramirez deal.
- Currently the idea of the Brewers swapping Prince Fielder for Matt Cain is just fun speculation. However, it is true the Brewers will listen on Fielder (he is about to get expensive). The Giants are known to like the big first baseman. The hangup is Brian Sabean's reported unwillingness to trade Tim Lincecum or Cain.
- The Giants also have their eye on Adrian Beltre. The Mariners want starting pitching, but one year of Beltre is not equal to four of Jonathan Sanchez.
- The Phillies still don't want to go past two guaranteed years for Pat Burrell. Stark points out another complication - Burrell would gain 10-and-5 rights early in a Phillies contract. Any NL team inking Burrell for four years is a risky proposition given his defense. If Burrell leaves the Phillies, Stark doesn't expect the team to sign a major free agent as his replacement.
- The Indians deserve props for acquiring Anthony Reyes. Let's not overdo it though - it's only been five starts, and his strikeout rate is just 4.0 per nine in Cleveland.
- The Indians talked to multiple teams about Cliff Lee last winter. Interestingly, they thought the hardest about swapping him for Carlos Quentin.
- The Astros were quite willing to trade Ty Wigginton, prior to his massive August.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Stark's Latest: Cain, Beltre, Burrell, Wigginton: