Today we have a fresh column from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
- Vladimir Guerrero’s $15MM option for ’09 is a lock, but perhaps the Angels will reconsider extending him beyond that. Some of the money could be used to make Mark Teixeira the next franchise player.
- Rosenthal says "virtually every club with a need at the position" has shown interest in second baseman Robinson Cano. If you give Cano a mulligan for April, he hit .297/.326/.448 in 2008. That seems like a reasonable American League projection going forward. Cano, 26 in a few weeks, is signed through 2011 with two club options beyond that. The Yankees would look for a starting pitcher in return.
- Rosenthal agrees the Padres will explore the trade market for ace Jake Peavy. He expects Kevin Towers to wait until the big-name free agent starters sign, which will accentuate the relative affordability of Peavy’s contract (basically four years, $63MM).
- Rosenthal says Brewers shortstop J.J. Hardy knows he is likely to be traded to make room for prospect Alcides Escobar. It’d be a reasonable move, but only if Escobar proves he is a capable replacement.
- Pat Gillick told Rosenthal he will not be returning as Phillies GM next year, despite recent speculation.