The latest on the Red Sox, courtesy of WEEI’s Alex Speier.
- Julio Lugo says he’s in the best shape of his career. The $9MM shortstop won’t be happy if he’s on the bench this year. Speier believes he’ll ask for a trade if he doesn’t win the competition with Jed Lowrie. Lugo was following the Tigers trade rumors earlier this winter.
- Jason Bay remains open to an extension, but admitted "it’s not the end-all, be-all." Bay will be part of the 2009-10 free agent class if the Sox don’t lock him up.
- According to the AP, catcher Jason Varitek spoke of spending the rest of his career with the Red Sox.
- WEEI’s Rob Bradford spoke to Josh Beckett, who hopes to remain in Boston past his current contract. The Red Sox have a $12MM club option for a $2MM buyout for 2010.
- Bradford also reports that the Brad Wilkerson signing is official; he’s in camp on a minor league deal.