Jon Heyman of SI.com says those closest to the Pedro Martinez situation expect him to sign soon. Heyman has many more rumors; here they are:
- One GM thinks the Nationals are demanding too much in return for their players. He says they want "a dollar and a quarter for a dollar."
- As Heyman points out, interim GM Mike Rizzo has an especially tough role, since his job isn't secure.
- Heyman says the Nats will make an announcement on a full-time GM this season. Rizzo has a good shot at the position.
- Rival GMs say Omar Minaya is now looking to boost the Mets' offense.
- Adding a player who can handle first base and the outfield would allow the Mets to make room for Carlos Delgado when he returns later in the season. Mark DeRosa fits the bill, but the Indians are apparently asking for a lot in a potential deal.
- The Rangers aren't likely to trade for Brad Penny, though they have considered him.
- Huston Street's one of the relievers who appeals to the Rangers.
- Texas can't add payroll, but can trade prospects.
- Chad Qualls and Heath Bell would both command big returns in a trade.
- Most contenders believe they need to add relievers, but the Red Sox are willing to trade one away.
- Heyman says releasing Dontrelle Willis would be a drastic move.
- The Reds, Braves and possibly the Cardinals are looking for right-handed hitting corner outfielders.
Full Story | Comments (28) | Categories: Atlanta Braves | Boston Red Sox | Brad Penny | Chad Qualls | Cincinnati Reds | Dontrelle Willis | Heath Bell | Huston Street | Mark DeRosa | New York Mets | Pedro Martinez | St. Louis Cardinals | Texas Rangers | Washington Nationals
Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres To Release James Darnell Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Dodgers Claim John Baker Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Yankees, A's, Royals, White Sox, Mariners Quick Hits: Biogenesis, Boldt, Astros, Ramirez Trade Deadline Notes: Closers, Phillies, Buyers Draft Signings: Gonsalves, Williams, Monda, Hannemann Astros Notes: Appel, Free Agency Rockies To Remove Francis From Roster, Add Oswalt Braves Sign First-Rounder Jason Hursh Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres Request Release Waivers On James Darnell Astros To Sign Mark Appel Suspensions Likely In Biogenesis Case Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors