Deep-pocketed teams like the Cubs and Yankees say they'll have trouble adding salary this year, and they're far from the only ones. Here's a quick list of teams that could add payroll:
- Mike Ilitch's Red Wings just made it to the Stanley Cup final and he says the Tigers can add salary if it'll make them winners, too.
- Earlier in the week we heard that the Phillies can take on payroll.
- The Cardinals are in a position to add salary as well.
- The Dodgers are spending $2.7MM less than expected this year because of the Manny Ramirez suspension. This could give them the flexibility to take on a contract.
- The White Sox would have taken on payroll in the failed Jake Peavy trade.
- The Mets have about $5MM in payroll flexibility.
Add any teams I've missed in the comments and we can flesh this list out.