Last winter's biggest storylines involved Jake Peavy, Mark Teixeira, Manny Ramirez, C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Junichi Tazawa, and Rafael Furcal. What will MLBTR be buzzing about this offseason?
- Aroldis Chapman, a 21 year-old Cuban defector, is expected to become a free agent in a few weeks. The hard-throwing lefty may inspire a good old-fashioned Red Sox-Yankees bidding war, with the price beginning around $40MM. Dominican shortstop Miguel Angel Sano is another hot topic - is he really 16?
- Will Scott Boras secure a $100MM contract for left fielder Matt Holliday? At this point it's unclear which teams would be open to such a commitment, but the Cardinals will try to lock him up. Jason Bay, also a free agent, is more than a year older than Holliday. How will his contract compare?
- Would Manny Ramirez, another Boras client, dare turn down his $20MM player option? He's had a typical Manny season aside from a 50-game suspension for use of a banned substance.
- Will the Mets reduce payroll for 2010, despite multiple needs? How will the Rangers sale play out? Will the Cubs' new ownership be willing to spend?
- The Angels have many prominent free agents, including Vladimir Guerrero, John Lackey, Chone Figgins, and Bobby Abreu. Lackey is the best available pitcher; will he command Burnett money?
- Joe Mauer's contract is up after the 2010 season, which is also the inaugural year for the Twins' new ballpark. Will the team pony up a massive extension for the MVP candidate?
- Roy Halladay figures to be a regular presence in the rumor mill, after the Blue Jays shopped him this summer. Other trade candidates include Carl Crawford, B.J. Upton, Felix Hernandez, Josh Johnson, Adrian Gonzalez, Javier Vazquez, and Milton Bradley.
- Free agent bargains such as Bobby Abreu and Randy Wolf didn't sign until February last time around. Will teams be more inclined to play the waiting game?
- The NL West has three free agent GMs: Dan O'Dowd, Brian Sabean, and Ned Colletti (mutual option).
- Thanks to the MLBTR writing staff and our Twitter followers for many of these storylines.
Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Winter Meetings Review: Day 2 Overnight Notes: Masterson, Twins, Rockies, Myers AL East Links: Choo, Drew, Lester, Yankees Astros Interested In Joba Chamberlain Phillies Notes: Brown, Papelbon, Lee, Hamels Trumbo Trade Allows Angels To Pursue Pitching Quick Hits: Cubs, Blue Jays, Butler, Cruz, Ackley Tigers Still Successfully Adapting Long After Peralta Suspension David Price Rumors: Tuesday Latest On Matt Kemp Central Notes: Anderson, Cardinals, Ellis, Pirates East Notes: Tanaka, Red Sox, Mets, Braves, Chavez Corey Hart Could Make Decision Tonight East Notes: Mets, Burnett, Phillies, Benoit Central Notes: Arroyo, Twins, Cards, De Aza, Indians
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors