Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski says this year's club was good, even though it had "shortcomings," according to MLB.com's Jason Beck. Here's how the GM plans on improving the Tigers:
- Dombrowski hasn't been handed a firm 2010 budget yet.
- He sounded prepared to move on if the club can't complete a reasonable deal with Placido Polanco. The GM says prospect Scott Sizemore is "ready to play."
- Expect the Tigers to rotate a number of players through the DH spot next year. Looks like Hideki Matsui, Jim Thome, Vladimir Guerrero and other free agent DHs can rule Detroit out for now unless they'd accept a part-time role.
- It sounds like the Tigers will fill their rotation out from within.
- The Tigers will emphasize plate discipline at all levels.
- It looks like Joel Zumaya will be able to throw as hard as ever next year.
- Brandon Lyon and Fernando Rodney will both be free agents after the postseason, so the Tigers don't have much certainty in the 'pen right now.