3:35pm: More from Rosenthal and Morosi:
- The White Sox are expected to add a leadoff man, but Chone Figgins still seems too expensive.
- John Smoltz is open to starting or relieving next year. He figures to end up in the NL after his failed stint with the Red Sox.
- Phillies officials "strongly downplayed" the idea that they could trade for Roy Halladay. The NL Champs will focus instead on third base and the bullpen.
12:38pm: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi are constantly updating their blog at FOX Sports with more info from the GM meetings. Here are some highlights from today:
- Rich Harden could be a good fit for the Seattle Mariners, especially given his past success in the American League West and the close proximity of his hometown (Victoria, British Columbia) to Seattle.
- Given their need for some offensive punch, the Mariners will also "kick the tires" on Jason Bay, says one major league source. As ESPN.com's Jason Grey points out, the Mariners have Dustin Ackley and Michael Saunders coming up through the system, so signing an outfielder like Bay to a long-term deal may not appeal to Jack Zduriencik.
- J.J. Putz's agent Craig Landis says that his client wouldn't mind accepting a setup role. "He has a preference to be a closer, but absolutely will not rule out an eighth-inning job depending upon many factors," says Landis. The factors Landis mentions include location, coaching staff, team strength, and, of course, money.
- Bean Stringfellow, Billy Wagner's agent, claims that six teams have called about the left-hander, and that all of them are interested in Wagner as a closer. We heard earlier today that Wagner's value could be hurt by his Type A status, but if you believe Stringfellow, it's not looking like a problem so far.
- The Yankees are "taking it slow" in their discussions with Hideki Matsui.
Full Story | Comments (23) | Categories: Billy Wagner | Chicago White Sox | Chone Figgins | Hideki Matsui | J.J. Putz | Jason Bay | John Smoltz | Rich Harden | Roy Halladay | Seattle Mariners | Toronto Blue Jays
Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett Week In Review: 4/13/14 - 4/19/14 Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen West Notes: Trout, Kazmir, Padres Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors