3:35pm: More from Rosenthal and Morosi:
- The White Sox are expected to add a leadoff man, but Chone Figgins still seems too expensive.
- John Smoltz is open to starting or relieving next year. He figures to end up in the NL after his failed stint with the Red Sox.
- Phillies officials "strongly downplayed" the idea that they could trade for Roy Halladay. The NL Champs will focus instead on third base and the bullpen.
12:38pm: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi are constantly updating their blog at FOX Sports with more info from the GM meetings. Here are some highlights from today:
- Rich Harden could be a good fit for the Seattle Mariners, especially given his past success in the American League West and the close proximity of his hometown (Victoria, British Columbia) to Seattle.
- Given their need for some offensive punch, the Mariners will also "kick the tires" on Jason Bay, says one major league source. As ESPN.com's Jason Grey points out, the Mariners have Dustin Ackley and Michael Saunders coming up through the system, so signing an outfielder like Bay to a long-term deal may not appeal to Jack Zduriencik.
- J.J. Putz's agent Craig Landis says that his client wouldn't mind accepting a setup role. "He has a preference to be a closer, but absolutely will not rule out an eighth-inning job depending upon many factors," says Landis. The factors Landis mentions include location, coaching staff, team strength, and, of course, money.
- Bean Stringfellow, Billy Wagner's agent, claims that six teams have called about the left-hander, and that all of them are interested in Wagner as a closer. We heard earlier today that Wagner's value could be hurt by his Type A status, but if you believe Stringfellow, it's not looking like a problem so far.
- The Yankees are "taking it slow" in their discussions with Hideki Matsui.
Full Story | Comments (23) | Categories: Billy Wagner | Chicago White Sox | Chone Figgins | Hideki Matsui | J.J. Putz | Jason Bay | John Smoltz | Rich Harden | Roy Halladay | Seattle Mariners | Toronto Blue Jays
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Latest On Ervin Santana Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors