It's Sunday night, and that means it's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- Arizona signed third baseman Mark Reynolds to a three-year, $14.5MM deal. The 26-year-old, who narrowly missed Super Two status, belted 44 homers in 2009.
- Cuban shortstop Adeiny Hechevarria agreed to a four-year, $10MM contract with the Blue Jays. Hechevarria allegedly chose Toronto over the Yankees because he wanted the opportunity to play his natural position.
- While Adam Dunn has not set a deadline for extension talks with the Nats, he says that he doesn't want discussions to drag on for too long. Meanwhile, GM Mike Rizzo is optimistic that the two parties will reach agreement.
- The Marlins had scouts on hand Monday night to watch Mike Lowell play first base. It's currently unknown how interested Florida is in a reunion with the now 36-year-old.
- Adrian Gonzalez would reportedly accept deferred money from San Diego, provided that the offer was at market value.
- In a surprising move, the Nationals released Elijah Dukes. The move reportedly had nothing to do with off-the-field issues. Dukes was expected to start in right field for the Nats and still had an option remaining.
- Washington also released 40-year-old reliever Ron Villone.
- The Minnesota Twins are reportedly scouting Padres closer Heath Bell. Ben gave us his thoughts on the veteran's trade value.
- At least two teams are interested in Boston pitcher Boof Bonser. The 28-year-old, who is out of options, is reportedly being looked at by the Cubs and D'Backs.
- The Rockies and Mets have both expressed interest in free agent lefty reliever Joe Beimel. Colorado is also said to be interested in Royals reliever Juan Cruz.
- On Thursday night, Dmitri Young announced his retirement from baseball. The two-time former All-Star last played in the majors in 2008 as a member of the Nationals.
- This also might be the end of the line for Derrick Turnbow, as he was released by the Marlins following a shoulder injury. Turnbow was attempting to get back to the big leagues for the first time since 2008.
- The Diamondbacks reached agreement with Kris Benson on a minor league deal. The 35-year-old will earn at least $650K if he makes the big league squad.
- It appears that Toronto lefty David Purcey is drawing attention from clubs.
- Tim surveyed MLB executives to get their thoughts on the best and worst moves of this offseason.
- There's no crying in baseball, but there are backsies following the Rule 5 draft. The Cardinals returned Ben Jukich to the Reds. Washington welcomed back Zech Zinicola after he was returned by Toronto. Steve Johnson was shipped back to Baltimore by the Giants. Armando Zerpa was sent back to Boston after a cup of coffee with the Dodgers. The A's sent Bobby Cassevah southward, back to the Angels.
- Casey Fien had to pack his bags once more, as he was released by the Blue Jays and subsequently reunited with the Tigers. Detroit DFA'd Fien in late February.
- Boston acquired minor league righty Miguel Celestino to complete the January Bill Hall-Casey Kotchman trade with Seattle.
- The White Sox said au revoir to Daniel Cabrera and Jason Botts.
- Tim's Offseason In Review series rolled on with looks at the Cubs, Reds, Astros, and Brewers.
- Attention fantasy baseballers: If you're not following @closernews on Twitter, then you're missing out.
- Finally, we all learned some fun facts about MLBTR's staff.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera AL West Notes: Pujols, Elias, Mariners' Payroll, Astros Agent Says D'Backs Should Promote Archie Bradley Rays' Matt Moore To Undergo Tommy John Surgery
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors