It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- The biggest news of the week was, of course, Joe Mauer's eight-year extension with the Twins. The Minnesota native will make $184MM over the course of the deal, which averages out to $23MM per season. It's the fourth largest deal in MLB history and it will keep the face of the franchise in Minnesota through the 2018 season.
- We learned that the Red Sox are not willing to give Josh Beckett an extension beyond four years. Beckett is set to earn $12.1MM this season.
- Andres Blanco was shipped to Texas for a player to be named later. The 26-year-old posted a line of .252/.303/.341 in 138 plate appearances for the Cubs last season.
- The Orioles acquired Steven Lerud from the Royals in exchange for a player to be named later.
- Boston is still willing to move Mike Lowell, and the Rangers could be a match - again. Despite rumors to the contrary, the Marlins say that they are uninterested in a reunion with the third baseman.
- The Giants agreed to extensions with two of their pitchers. Closer Brian Wilson agreed to a two-year pact worth $15MM that will buy out two of his arbitration years. Meanwhile, Jeremy Affeldt's deal is worth $9MM over the next two seasons, though the 2011 year is a club option.
- The Rangers acquired catcher Matt Treanor in exchange for infielder Ray Olmedo. The 34-year-old Treanor missed most of 2009 with a hip injury.
- A day after his 27th birthday, the Yankees released pitcher Chad Gaudin. The Yankees will owe Gaudin one-quarter of his $2.95MM salary for 2010.
- Joe Beimel found a home with the Rockies, agreeing to a minor league deal with a base salary of $850K if he makes the squad. The soon-to-be 33-year-old can also earn up to $300K in incentives.
- MLBTR contributor Blake Bentley learned that 17-year-old Dominican righty Rafael DePaula may sign soon. Bentley sees a two-horse race between the Yankees and Mariners for his services.
- The Red Sox signed reliever Alan Embree to a minor league deal that could pay him $1.1MM if he makes the big league roster. This signing marks the lefty's second stint with the team.
- Detroit is reportedly shopping pitcher Nate Robertson. Robertson is entering the final year of a three-year, $21.25MM contract.
- The Dodgers are reportedly shopping pitcher Eric Stults and outfielder Jason Repko, as they are overloaded in both areas. Infielder Chin-lung Hu was also rumored to be on the block, but that was shot down by MLB.com's Ken Gurnick.
- After being let go by Milwaukee, reliever Scott Schoeneweis agreed to a minor league deal with the Red Sox. The 36-year-old will earn $500K if he makes the big league squad.
- The Twins agreed to terms with lefty Ron Mahay. The 38-year-old did well against lefties last season.
- The Mets are said to be shopping outfielder Gary Matthews Jr., though they are unlikely to find a taker for him. The 35-year-old costs the Mets just $2MM over the next two seasons as the Angels picked up the tab on the majority of his contract.
- The A's acquired reliever Edwar Ramirez from the Rangers for infielder Gregorio Petit. Ramirez, who turned 29 today, posted 10.6 K/9 in 98.3 big league innings with the Yankees.
- The Giants finally found a taker for Kevin Frandsen as he was sent to the Red Sox for a player to be named later. The 27-year-old infielder has a .240/.304/.341 line in 453 major league appearances, all of which have been with the Giants.
- Lefty Brian Shouse was cut loose by the BoSox. The 41-year-old was set to earn $800K if he were to make the major league roster.
- On Wednesday, the Nats agreed to terms on a deal with reliever Mike MacDougal, who was waived by the Marlins earlier in the week. MacDougal posted a 4.31 ERA with 5.6 K/9 and 6.3 BB/9 last season.
- Angel Berroa asked for and was granted his release by the Dodgers. Ditto for reliever Eric Gagne.
- Extension talks between Albert Pujols and the Cardinals have been tabled until this winter. Pujols is under team control through the 2011 season.
- Tim compiled a list of all of the key free agents in the 2012 offseason. Shortly afterwords, he followed it up with his take on the free agent class.
Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Phillies To Sign Roberto Hernandez Giants To Sign Mike Morse Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Diamondbacks Close To Signing Hudson, Blanco Quick Hits: Rays, Kimbrel, Weeks, Kalish, Madson AL West Notes: Wilson, Young, Angels, Morrison AL Central Notes: Jackson, Pelfrey, Garza, Butler Rockies Close To Signing Boone Logan Dodgers Notes: Kemp, Phillips, Gordon, Kasten Rosenthal On Gardner, Kemp, Drew, Mariners Blue Jays Notes: Rasmus, Samardzija, Anthopoulos Yankees Offered Infante Three Years, $24MM Royals, Blue Jays Discussed Billy Butler Trade Rockies Close To Deal With Logan, Talking To Howell Mets Notes: Axford, Gregg, Drew, Payroll Red Sox Designate Alex Castellanos Padres, Indians Competing For Joaquin Benoit Three Teams Have Two-Year Offers To Balfour
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors