We're just a few short weeks away from Opening Day! Let's take a look back at the week that was..
- The Twins and Denard Span agreed to a five-year deal worth $16.5MM, including a team option for a sixth year. The deal covers both of his remaining pre-arbitration years, plus all three arbitration years.
- Hernan Iribarren was picked up by the Rangers after he was placed on waivers by the Brewers. Iribarren fills a need for the club as they voided Khalil Greene's deal in late February.
- John Lackey's five-year, $85MM could set the market for Josh Beckett as he discusses an extension, but Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that he is looking for a "longer term deal." However, baseball sources tell Heyman that they believe a deal will still get done.
- The Rockies inked Todd Helton to a two-year extension. The 36-year-old will earn $4.9MM in 2012 and $5MM in 2013.
- Scouts from several teams (including the Rockies, Pirates, and Blue Jays) were said to be watching Minnesota's Glen Perkins pitch on Tuesday night. The presence of representation from Toronto is particularly interesting, as the Twins reportedly like reliever Jason Frasor. The Cubs are also interested as they inquired on the 32-year-old.
- On Wednesday, Nomar Garciaparra officially announced his retirement from baseball. The 36-year-old had a career line of .313/.361/.521 in 6,116 plate appearances.
- In other retirement news, Brian Giles announced that he's calling it quits. The 39-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers in February.
- Hank Blalock and the Rays came to terms on a one-year minor league deal worth $925K plus $350K in incentives. Blalock his .234/.277/.459 last season with Texas.
- The Rangers acquired reliever Edwar Ramirez from the Yankees for cash considerations. Ramirez, who turns 29 this month, notched 10.6 K/9 in 98.3 innings with the Bombers.
- Ben got us brought us up to speed on the remaining free agent starters and relievers.
- And, finally, MLBTR introduced a sharp new site design!
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors