MONDAY, 2:19pm: FOX Sports' Jim Bowden tweets that Giants manager Bruce Bochy says Molina was just posturing.
SATURDAY, 8:37pm: Giants catcher Bengie Molina says that he will likely call it a career in the majors after the 2010 campaign, tweets Sean Farnham of FOX Sports Radio. Molina added that he is unhappy with the way the Buster Posey situation has been handled.
The news is surprising considering Molina's play so far this season. The 35-year-old is hitting .344/.403/.422 in 72 plate appearances. With that kind of offensive production, it's hard to imagine that the veteran really wants to retire.
A shade over two weeks ago, Molina expressed his frustrations with how his free agency played out this offseason. After turning down a $5.5MM offer from the Mets, Molina ultimately chose to stay in San Francisco for $1MM less. While his 80 RBIs impressed some, his .265/.285/.442 slash line didn't lead to a multiyear offer.