Some links to check out after the Rangers clinched their first AL West title since 1999...
- Brandon Webb will meet with new Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers next week to discuss his immediate future, according to MLB.com's Steve Gilbert and Andrew Pentis. Webb acknowledged that he's not 100% back from shoulder surgery, but he wants to be activated next week to showcase himself before hitting the free agent market.
- Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com says that the Pirates have begun the process of evaluating their relievers. It's safe to say that Evan Meek and Joel Hanrahan are the only guys guaranteed jobs next year.
- Joe Cowley of The Chicago Sun Times tweets that Ozzie Guillen said the Cubs would be an option if he does not return to the White Sox next season.
- Carlos Pena doesn't think his struggles this season (.200/.329/.412) are the result of him putting too much pressure on himself in advance of free agency, writes Tony Fabrizio of The Tampa Tribune.
- Michael Baron of Metsblog.com says that the Mets shouldn't rule out any kind of trade that can improve the roster, even if it includes David Wright or Jose Reyes.
- Felipe Lopez told FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that he rejected the Padres' waiver claim because he wouldn't have felt like part of the team (all Twitter links). Lopez wouldn't have been eligible for San Diego's playoff roster if he helped them clinch a playoff spot.
- ESPN's Buster Olney (Insider req'd) says that some within the Orioles organization view Victor Martinez as someone who could serve as a backup catcher and mentor to Matt Wieters while still getting plenty of at-bats at first base and designated hitter. We learned of Baltimore's interest in V-Mart yesterday.
- With their contracts set to expire after the season, the futures of long time Tigers Jeremy Bonderman and Brandon Inge are up in the air, writes Lynn Henning of The Detroit News.
- Mark Gonzales of The Chicago Tribune reports Ozzie Guillen indicated that any decision about his future will first go through his family. Ozzie's status beyond this season has been uncertain of late.
- MLB president and COO Bob DuPuy is expected to move out of his current role according to Olney, though the timing of the move is unclear. DuPuy was viewed by some as a potential successor to commissioner Bud Selig, who has indicated that he will retire when his contract is up in two years.
- Last, but certainly not least, hello to MLBTR reader Aaron Hill! He was caught checking out MLBTR in this clubhouse video tour with Shaun Marcum.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Aaron Hill | Arizona Diamondbacks | Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Brandon Inge | Brandon Webb | Carlos Pena | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | David Wright | Detroit Tigers | Felipe Lopez | Jeremy Bonderman | Jose Reyes | New York Mets | Pittsburgh Pirates | San Diego Padres | Tampa Bay Rays | Toronto Blue Jays | Victor Martinez
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors