If all goes according to plan, Adrian Gonzalez will soon become the newest member of the Boston Red Sox. Here's a sampling of opinion from around the baseball world on the deal that has been talked about for quite some time..
- Gonzalez could put up monster numbers in Fenway, says Alex Speier of WEEI.com. During the 2009 All-Star game, the slugger told the site that he was long curious about what it would be like to play his home games in a different park. Petco, of course, is less-than-friendly to hitters.
- The "Human Trade Rumor" will prove that he has been worth the wait, says Scott Miller of CBSSports.com.
- While the proposed deal may seem to favor the Red Sox on the surface, Keith Law of ESPN (Insider subscription required) sees it as being pretty even. While there's a lot to like about the makeup of right-hander Casey Kelly, Law points out that he is also a great defensive pitcher. His fielding is so strong in fact that Law writes that "it's like having an extra infielder on the diamond."
- Corey Brock of MLB.com (via Twitter) says that the Padres still need a first baseman in the short-term.
- Heath Bell says he's okay with the deal if it makes San Diego better in the long-term, according to Marty Caswell of XX1090 radio (via Twitter).
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports writes that the deal would shake up this winter's hot stove. The trade would certainly hurt free agent Adrian Beltre, who would lose leverage as a result.
- Rival executives have mixed feelings about the Padres' return for Gonzalez, tweets Rosenthal.
- BoSox pitcher Tim Wakefield likes Gonzalez as a player and a person, tweets Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
- The Red Sox used their deep pockets to get the man they wanted, writes Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.
Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Francona, Indians, Mattingly, Dodgers Cafardo on Tanaka, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Phillies AL East Notes: Orioles, Red Sox, Ellsbury Antonetti on Bourn, Bauer, Pitching Draft Notes: Astros, Appel, Gray, Cubs, Harvey Minor Moves: Dustin Martin, Josh Horton West Links: Dodgers, Ethier, Norberto, Mariners Derek Lowe Clears Waivers NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams Poll: The Next 2012 First-Rounder To Be Called Up Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman Quick Hits: White Sox, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies NL East Notes: Phillies, Lee, Nationals, Mets
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors