It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- The story of the week, of course, was Major League Baseball's decision to take over the Dodgers' financial operations. ESPN's Buster Olney summed up Bud Selig's takeover as "a two-handed shove out the door." Dodgers owner Frank McCourt intends to fight to keep control of his club.
- The Brewers surprised everyone this week when they announced Ryan Braun's monster extension. The Brewers locked up their star left fielder through 2020 with an extension for five years and $105MM. The deal includes a mutual option for 2021 worth up to $20MM with a $4MM buyout. Braun was already under contract through 2015 on a precedent-setting deal. The newest extension drew quite a bit of criticism.
- The Athletics acquired lefty David Purcey from the Blue Jays for minor league reliever Danny Farquhar. Purcey, 29, was designated for assignment by the Jays last week. The former first-rounder is out of options, so the A's must keep him in the majors or attempt to pass him through waivers.
- Where in the world is Brad Emaus? The Mets returned the Rule 5 pick to the Blue Jays on Thursday. On Friday, Toronto shipped Emaus to the Rockies in exchange for right-hander Chris Malone.
- The Pirates claimed Brandon Wood shortly after the shortstop was DFA'd by the Angels. Pittsburgh was first in line in the waiver order and jumped at the chance to add the 26-year-old. Infielder Josh Rodriguez was subsequently designated for assignment.
- The Dodgers designated Xavier Paul for assignment to create roster space for Jerry Sands. The 26-year-old appeared in seven games as a corner outfielder and pinch hitter his year, picking up three hits in his 11 trips to the plate.
- After trading Nyjer Morgan to the Brewers and plugging Rick Ankiel into the starting lineup, the Nationals are on the lookout for a center fielder.
- The Giants optioned first baseman Brandon Belt to Triple-A Fresno.
- The Mets would like to wait on an Ike Davis extension.
- The Blue Jays acquired righty Yohan Pino from the Indians for cash considerations.
- The Marlins agreed to sign reliever Chris Sampson. The soon-to-be 32-year-old was in camp with the Rockies before being released on April 1st.
- Ben Swaggerty signed with the Braves, MLBTR reported. The former Royals' Double-A Pitcher of the Year asked for and was granted his release out of Spring Training by Kansas City.
- The Yankees DFA'd Jose Ortegano on Saturday.
Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Brewers Sign Devin Williams Dodgers Claim John Baker Mets Designate Collin McHugh For Assignment Astros To Sign Mark Appel Marlins Sign Colby Suggs Marlins Place Miguel Olivo On Restricted List Pirates Designate Mike Zagurski For Assignment Indians To Sign Clint Frazier Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment Padres Designate James Darnell For Assignment Tigers Sign Jonathon Crawford Padres Acquire Pedro Ciriaco
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro For Assignment Youkilis Out 10-12 Weeks Due To Back Surgery Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith MLBTR Chat Transcript Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Quick Hits: Manny, Hanrahan, Top Prospects, Teixeira Trade Candidate: Jose Veras Travis Ishikawa Exercises Opt Out Clause Twins, Kohl Stewart Nearing Deal Draft Signings: Wiper, Healy, Finnegan, Williams Quick Hits: Appel, Padres, Jimenez, 2014 Draft
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors