It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- The story of the week, of course, was Major League Baseball's decision to take over the Dodgers' financial operations. ESPN's Buster Olney summed up Bud Selig's takeover as "a two-handed shove out the door." Dodgers owner Frank McCourt intends to fight to keep control of his club.
- The Brewers surprised everyone this week when they announced Ryan Braun's monster extension. The Brewers locked up their star left fielder through 2020 with an extension for five years and $105MM. The deal includes a mutual option for 2021 worth up to $20MM with a $4MM buyout. Braun was already under contract through 2015 on a precedent-setting deal. The newest extension drew quite a bit of criticism.
- The Athletics acquired lefty David Purcey from the Blue Jays for minor league reliever Danny Farquhar. Purcey, 29, was designated for assignment by the Jays last week. The former first-rounder is out of options, so the A's must keep him in the majors or attempt to pass him through waivers.
- Where in the world is Brad Emaus? The Mets returned the Rule 5 pick to the Blue Jays on Thursday. On Friday, Toronto shipped Emaus to the Rockies in exchange for right-hander Chris Malone.
- The Pirates claimed Brandon Wood shortly after the shortstop was DFA'd by the Angels. Pittsburgh was first in line in the waiver order and jumped at the chance to add the 26-year-old. Infielder Josh Rodriguez was subsequently designated for assignment.
- The Dodgers designated Xavier Paul for assignment to create roster space for Jerry Sands. The 26-year-old appeared in seven games as a corner outfielder and pinch hitter his year, picking up three hits in his 11 trips to the plate.
- After trading Nyjer Morgan to the Brewers and plugging Rick Ankiel into the starting lineup, the Nationals are on the lookout for a center fielder.
- The Giants optioned first baseman Brandon Belt to Triple-A Fresno.
- The Mets would like to wait on an Ike Davis extension.
- The Blue Jays acquired righty Yohan Pino from the Indians for cash considerations.
- The Marlins agreed to sign reliever Chris Sampson. The soon-to-be 32-year-old was in camp with the Rockies before being released on April 1st.
- Ben Swaggerty signed with the Braves, MLBTR reported. The former Royals' Double-A Pitcher of the Year asked for and was granted his release out of Spring Training by Kansas City.
- The Yankees DFA'd Jose Ortegano on Saturday.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Latest On Ervin Santana Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors