It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- The story of the week, of course, was Major League Baseball's decision to take over the Dodgers' financial operations. ESPN's Buster Olney summed up Bud Selig's takeover as "a two-handed shove out the door." Dodgers owner Frank McCourt intends to fight to keep control of his club.
- The Brewers surprised everyone this week when they announced Ryan Braun's monster extension. The Brewers locked up their star left fielder through 2020 with an extension for five years and $105MM. The deal includes a mutual option for 2021 worth up to $20MM with a $4MM buyout. Braun was already under contract through 2015 on a precedent-setting deal. The newest extension drew quite a bit of criticism.
- The Athletics acquired lefty David Purcey from the Blue Jays for minor league reliever Danny Farquhar. Purcey, 29, was designated for assignment by the Jays last week. The former first-rounder is out of options, so the A's must keep him in the majors or attempt to pass him through waivers.
- Where in the world is Brad Emaus? The Mets returned the Rule 5 pick to the Blue Jays on Thursday. On Friday, Toronto shipped Emaus to the Rockies in exchange for right-hander Chris Malone.
- The Pirates claimed Brandon Wood shortly after the shortstop was DFA'd by the Angels. Pittsburgh was first in line in the waiver order and jumped at the chance to add the 26-year-old. Infielder Josh Rodriguez was subsequently designated for assignment.
- The Dodgers designated Xavier Paul for assignment to create roster space for Jerry Sands. The 26-year-old appeared in seven games as a corner outfielder and pinch hitter his year, picking up three hits in his 11 trips to the plate.
- After trading Nyjer Morgan to the Brewers and plugging Rick Ankiel into the starting lineup, the Nationals are on the lookout for a center fielder.
- The Giants optioned first baseman Brandon Belt to Triple-A Fresno.
- The Mets would like to wait on an Ike Davis extension.
- The Blue Jays acquired righty Yohan Pino from the Indians for cash considerations.
- The Marlins agreed to sign reliever Chris Sampson. The soon-to-be 32-year-old was in camp with the Rockies before being released on April 1st.
- Ben Swaggerty signed with the Braves, MLBTR reported. The former Royals' Double-A Pitcher of the Year asked for and was granted his release out of Spring Training by Kansas City.
- The Yankees DFA'd Jose Ortegano on Saturday.
Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Indians Notes: Albers, Carson, Antonetti Market Reset: 2013-14 Free Agent Spending To Date Orioles Notes: Free Agents, Johnson, Wolf, Feldman Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon Reaction & Analysis Of Robinson Cano's Contract Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Marlins Exploring Morrison Trades; Interested In Garrett Jones Yankees Sign Kelly Johnson Scott Feldman On Signing With Astros Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal Astros Sign Scott Feldman White Sox Outright Blake Tekotte, Mike McDade Marlins Nearing Deal With Garrett Jones Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors