The draft is less than three weeks away, which means it's time to track the top amateur players in the country and which teams are interested in them. Given the amount of rules, jargon and deadlines involved with the draft, it doesn't hurt to review some key dates and concepts. Here are a few terms from MLBTR's Hot Stove Glossary:
- Here's how the draft order is determined. River Ave. Blues has the 2011 order.
- Draft order depends heavily on free agent compensation.
- There's a deadline for signing draft picks, usually August 15th.
- Each year, the commissioner's office issues recommended bonuses for draft picks.
- Clubs can distribute bonuses differently to two-sport athletes.
- Check out our Draft Prospect Q&A series.