Eighteen years ago today, the Padres traded Gary Sheffield to the Marlins along with Rich Rodriguez for a package of three young players. The key to the trade for San Diego was right-hander Jose Martinez, who had been ranked as the 68th best prospect in the game by Baseball America before the season. They also received another righty by the name of Andres Berumen, but the real prize ended up being an unheralded reliever named Trevor Hoffman. Rodriguez and Berumen combined for a 5.88 ERA in 59 2/3 big league innings (all with the Padres), but Hoffman went on to be a Hall of Fame closer who saved more games than anyone else in history. Two of his 601 career saves came with the Marlins.
It wasn't a bad trade for Florida, either. Rodriguez posted a 4.11 ERA in 36 relief appearances after the deal before being released after the season. Sheffield hit in the middle of their order for parts of six seasons (.288/.426/.543) and helped them to the 1997 World Series title. Hopefully these links work out as well for everyone as that trade worked out for Florida and San Diego...
- DRays Bays interviewed Rays television analyst Brian Anderson (part one, part two).
- Phoul Ballz interviewed former Phillie and current minor league manager Marlon Anderson.
- The Nats Blog is in shock over Jim Riggleman's resignation.
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness tries to figure out how much money Matt Kemp is making himself this season.
- Marlin Maniac explains why it would be ridiculous for the Marlins to trade Hanley Ramirez.
- Redleg Nation thinks the Reds should wait before signing Drew Stubbs to an extension.
- Baseball Time In Arlington clears up some misconceptions about Ian Kinsler.
- Royals Review looks at Jeff Francis, a Royal who could be traded before the deadline.
- Capitol Avenue Club assesses what the Braves need leading up to the deadline.
- Cubs Billy Goat Blog wonders if Geovany Soto is on the trade block.
- Brotherly Glove breaks down the Phillies' 2012 bullpen.
- Through The Fence Baseball breaks down some relief options for the Rangers.
- Disciples of Uecker looks at the fall of Craig Counsell.
- Splashing Pumpkins took a historical look at Giants' position players.
- BoSox Banter thinks Josh Reddick could be the answer for the Red Sox in right field.
- Harness The Halos wonders if the Angels are good enough to win.
- D'Backs Central says Ian Kennedy deserves to go to the All-Star Game.
- True Sports Legacy lists the top five American League rookies.
- Fenway Faithful Report, meanwhile, listed the top five leadoff hitters in baseball.
- Infield Chatter looks at a new trend of teams putting struggling players in the leadoff spot.
- Rays Colored Glasses wonders if Johnny Damon is a Hall of Famer.
- MLB Reports penned a tribute to retired closer Chad Cordero.
- Amazin' Avenue explains how the Mets should move a minor league team to Long Island.
- The Hardball Times wrote about FAAB and why it's better to trade sooner rather than later in your fantasy league.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.