Four years ago today, Astros owner Drayton McLane fired GM Tim Purpura and manager Phil Garner. Houston was 58-73 at the time, a steep fall following six straight winning seasons. Tal Smith replaced Purpura on an interim basis before giving way to current GM Ed Wade after that season, and Cecil Cooper replaced Garner and managed the team until the very end of the 2009 season.
Ownership of the Astros is in the process of being transferred from McLane to Jim Crane, so another GM change could be on the horizon. Here are this week's links…
- Replacement Level Baseball breaks down the Jered Weaver and Jose Tabata extensions.
- Monkey with a Halo wonders which Angel should be the next to get an extension.
- River Ave. Blues thinks it's time for the Yankees to sign Robinson Cano to an extension.
- The Todd Van Poppel Rookie Card Retirement Plan wrote about the Athletics possibly re-signing Josh Willingham after the season.
- Jon Colosimo takes a sabermetric look at what the Twins got back in the Johan Santana trade.
- The Beanball thinks Casper Wells was the key to the Doug Fister trade for the Mariners.
- Rant Sports Indians tries to figure out how much of an impact Jim Thome will have for the Indians.
- BK Sporting News looked at the next matchup of 600 home run hitters.
- FanSpeak says you shouldn't count the Nationals out of the Prince Fielder race after the season.
- MLB Reports broke down Tyler Beede's decision to attend college rather than sign with the Blue Jays as the 21st overall pick.
- Detroit Baseball Page wrote about Alex Avila challenging Brian McCann for the title of "Best Catcher in Baseball."
- Through The Fence Baseball wrote about Adam Dunn and the worst year ever.
- Ol' Ball Game explains how defense has helped the Diamondbacks to first place in the NL West.
- Seedlings To Stars rounded up some opinions on Marlins prospect Matt Dominguez.
- The Days of Yost listed some September call-up candidates for the Brewers (pitchers, position players).
- Call to the Pen took a look at the NL MVP race.
- The Hardball Times broke down David Wright's elite fantasy production.
- Future Closers listed the origin of each NL closer.
- 85% Sports went behind the scenes with a visiting clubhouse manager.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.