MLBTR's top-notch writing team was on fire last week with original content. Let's take a look:
- Ben Nicholson-Smith and I presented our inaugural list of the top GM candidates in baseball, after surveying a diverse group of baseball insiders. We're aiming to bring you interviews with many of the executives on the list over the next few months, so you'll be fully prepared if a GM job opens up.
- Speaking of GMs past and present, Ben scored interviews with John Hart and Andrew Friedman for a piece discussing the parallels between Hart's Indians extensions and Friedman's Rays contracts.
- The Tigers extended manager Jim Leyland and GM Dave Dombrowski, and Ben jumped on the conference call to snag quotes from the latter.
- Tigers closer Jose Valverde is a perfect 35 for 35 in save chances this year, but his recent track record on finding the right agency is not as good. He recently switched to Proformance, MLBTR was first to report. You'll find all the latest info in our one-of-a-kind Agency Database.
- Willie Eyre's first call to the bigs since '09 was first reported on MLBTR.
- Neftali Ruiz and Mario Guerrero brought readers this story on the struggles of Haitian prospects, while our Nick Collias translated their work to English and tied it all together.
- Ben ran through the 2010 non-tenders currently contributing with their new teams. Ben also explained why Twins righty Kevin Slowey is a candidate for the indignity of a non-tender after this season.
- What would it take for the Blue Jays to lock up Brandon Morrow, whose K/9 stands tall over the rest of the American League? Mark Polishuk investigated. Meanwhile, Dan Mennella explored Jonathan Papelbon's free agent prospects.
- Indians fans can only hope the Ubaldo Jimenez trade doesn't end up mirroring Brock-for-Broglio, but Howard Megdal shows why Jimenez and Broglio are trade targets separated at birth.
- Thousands of MLBTR readers voted on polls asking whether the Rays should trade B.J. Upton this winter and which recent Brewers trade was the best.
- Ben answered reader questions on Dontrelle Willis' next contract, this offseason's extension candidates, and what it would take to lock up Michael Bourn, among many others in last week's chat.
- Lots of interesting stuff from baseball blogs around the web last week, collected by Mike Axisa here. Especially notable is Bronx Baseball Daily's interview with C.C. Sabathia.
Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Fernando Rodney Seeking $10MM Per Year Doug Fister's Hidden Value To The Nationals Yankees Turned Down Gardner-For-Phillips Swap Looking At The Market For Kendrys Morales Minor Moves: Wilk, Martin, Hottovy Blue Jays Agree To Sign Tomo Ohka Braves Avoid Arbitration With Jordan Walden Quick Hits: Dodgers, Arroyo, Giants, Axford AL East Rumors: Drew, Balfour, Orioles, Red Sox Orioles Made Offers To Balfour, Axford Shin-Soo Choo Rumors: Wednesday Astros In Serious Discussions With Mike Morse West Notes: Morales, Kemp, Sandoval, Baker Quick Hits: Diaz, Benoit, Axford, Feldman, Ibanez NL Central Rumors: Boggs, Cubs, Pirates, Burnett
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors