On this date in 1994, the MLB Players' Association went on strike, leading to the cancellation of the World Series and a delayed start to the 1995 season. Dave Winfield was traded from the Twins to the Indians for a player to be named later two weeks after the strike but before the season was officially canceled, so the player to be named later was never actually named. Instead, Indians' executives took Twins' executives out to dinner and picked up the tab as compensation for the trade. Winfield, a Hall of Famer, was traded for dinner.
Here are this week's links, which will hopefully net the authors something more than a nice dinner one day…
- Bronx Baseball Daily interviewed CC Sabathia, and asked about his upcoming opt-out clause.
- MLB Reports interviewed Astros' sixth round pick Brandon Meredith.
- Brotherly Glove explains how waivers work.
- Two Points on a Compass broke down the Mariners' deadline deals.
- Redleg Nation wrote about Yonder Alonso and his place with the Reds.
- McCoy Chronicles mused about Carlos Beltran's first ten or so games with the Giants.
- Lookout Landing looked ahead to Chris Ray's future with the Mariners.
- U.S.S. Mariner breaks down the Mariners extended roster for the next two years.
- Rant Sports grades Erik Bedard two starts into his Red Sox career.
- House of the Bluebird examined the Eric Thames–Travis Snider position battle.
- Cream City Cables thinks the sky is the limit for the Brewers offense.
- Detroit Baseball Page wrote about ex-Tiger Cameron Maybin.
- BoSox Banter says David Ortiz earned himself a two-year deal this season.
- The Beanball compared the 2011 versions of Matt Treanor and Joe Mauer.
- Tomahawk Take wonders how worried the Braves should be about Tommy Hanson.
- Phoul Ballz took stock of the players the Phillies received when they traded Cliff Lee to the Mariners.
- Giants Nirvana revisits the Giants offseason.
- Replacement Level Baseball looks at the big name draft prospects yet to sign.
- Padres Prospects posted a scouting report on Jace Peterson, one of the Padres supplemtnal first round picks this June.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.