It takes an entire season for Rule 5 draftees to become official property of their new teams. Nearly ten months after the most recent edition of the annual draft, much of the uncertainty has been resolved. Five teams have been rewarded for their patience and now have new players. Here are the details on this year's 19 Rule 5 picks...
Official Property Of Their Current Teams (5)
- Pedro Beato, 24, posted a 4.30 ERA with 5.2 K/9, 3.6 BB/9 and a 47.4% ground ball rate in 67 innings for the Mets.
- Aneury Rodriguez pitched 85 1/3 innings as a swingman this year. The 23-year-old, who is one of the most extreme fly ball pitchers in the game, posted a 5.27 ERA with 6.8 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 for the Astros.
- Nathan Adcock averaged just one appearance per week for the Royals after making two starts in late May. Used mostly out of the bullpen, the 23-year-old right-hander posted a 4.62 ERA with 5.4 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 in 60 1/3 total innings.
- Joe Paterson, 25, has a 2.91 ERA with 7.4 K/9 and 4.0 BB/9 in 34 innings spread over 62 appearances. D'Backs manager Kirk Gibson limited the left-hander's exposure to right-handed hitters all season (91 plate appearances vs. LHB, 59 plate appearances vs. RHB).
- Michael Martinez added value for the Phillies with his versatility. Though he didn't hit much (.196/.258/.282), he backed up at second, third, short, left and right and played in more than half of Philadelphia's games.
The Mets returned Brad Emaus to the Blue Jays, who traded the infielder to Colorado; the Twins retained Scott Diamond in a trade with the Braves; the Red Sox sent Daniel Turpen to the Rockies; the Indians recently sent Josh Rodriguez to the Pirates. Rule 5 restrictions no longer apply to these four players.
Elvin Ramirez (Nationals) and Mason Tobin (Rangers) have been on the 60-day DL for over four months. They have to spend 90 non-September days on the active roster to become official property of their new teams. Otherwise, their Rule 5 status carries forward until the players spend 90 non-September days on the active roster.