It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- On Thursday the White Sox announced that they have hired Robin Ventura to be their new manager. The sides have agreed to terms on a multiyear deal that makes Ventura the franchise's 38th manager. GM Kenny Williams says Ventura topped his managerial wish list despite his inexperience as a Major League skipper.
- In a radio interview, Red Sox owner John Henry and CEO Larry Lucchino declined to discuss the Cubs’ request to talk to GM Theo Epstein. However, Henry said that a “certain protocol in this game” generally dictates that teams allow employees to consider promotions.
- Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail announced that he will leave his position because of family obligations. MacPhail's contract will expire on October 31, when he will officially part ways with the team. Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava and Marlins assistant GM Dan Jennings are among the rumored candidates for the job.
- It apears that manager Buck Showalter won't move from the dugout to the GM's office as he loves managing and plans to continue in his current role. There was lots of speculation that Showalter, who has developed a strong relationship with owner Peter Angelos, could become Baltimore's GM.
- Robinson Tejeda elected to become a free agent. The right-hander was designated for assignment by the Royals in May and spent the rest of the season pitching for Triple-A Omaha.
- The Dodgers announced that they've declined club options on starter Jon Garland and third baseman Casey Blake, and also outrighted Eugenio Velez to Triple-A. Typically option decisions are announced after the World Series, but Garland and Blake were obvious choices. For Garland, the Dodgers chose a $500K buyout over an $8MM club option. Meanwhile, they chose a $1.25MM buyout over a $6MM club option on Blake.
- Veteran third baseman Eric Chavez is considering retirement. The 33-year-old is "leaning heavily towards" hanging up his cleats after 14 Major League seasons. If this is the end for Chavez, he will retire with a career line of .267/.342/.474 and 232 home runs.
- Jeremy Guthrie has been a steady presence in the Orioles’ rotation for the past five seasons, but they haven’t approached the right-hander about a multiyear deal. The pitcher says he hasn't discussed the possibility with the team since he and his agent brought it up last offseason.
- Jose Reyes says that the Mets haven’t started discussing a new contract with him, but the shortstop hinted that he expects dialogue to begin before long. The Mets have exclusive negotiating rights with the prospective free agent until five days after the World Series ends.
- Ozzie Guillen and Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano reportedly spoke on the phone and discussed the possibility of the hurler joining the Marlins. A source says that nothing is official but a deal could be reached where the Cubs cut the 30-year-old loose and give him the $18MM that he is owed in deferred payments.
- Rockies third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff elected free agency after clearing waivers, MLBTR learned. Word is that multiple teams are interested in signing him to a big league deal.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Diamondbacks Outright Alex Sanabia Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer Minor Moves: Perez, Loewen, Neil White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors