Here's a look back at the original reporting and analysis produced by our writing staff this week..
- This week, MLBTR rolled out the brand-new Extension Tracker. The extension tracker shows all contract extensions, whether they cover the player's arbitration years, free agent years, or both. Please note that some of the data prior to 2011 is still in the process of being added, such as service time, position, and number of options.
- On Saturday morning, agent Bob Garber told Tim Dierkes that there is "no chance" of Roy Oswalt relieving in 2012. There have been reports that the Cardinals are nearing a deal with the veteran, but this stance indicates that they would have to trade a current starter or move one to relief.
- The Diamondbacks agreed to a one-year, $1.795MM deal with Brad Ziegler, avoiding arbitration, MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith learned. The right-handed reliever was arbitration eligible for the second time this offseason after earning $1.25MM last year.
- The Reds signed arbitration eligible reliever Nick Masset to a two-year extension and Ben reported that the deal is worth a guaranteed $5.5MM and includes performance bonuses.
- With Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols off of the market, Joey Votto is officially the next MVP-caliber first baseman scheduled to hit free agency. Ben examined what it would take for the Reds to lock Votto up on a new deal.
- After giving Eric Hosmer $6MM as the third overall pick in 2008, it's clear that the Royals expect great things out of the 22-year-old. The Royals have bigger fish to fry than extending Hosmer but a long-term deal could help prevent the prospect from pricing himself out of Kansas City down the line, writes Mike Axisa.
- Mike rounded up the best from around the web in this week's edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- Ben gave us a look at 2012's highest-paid arbitration eligible players. Tim Lincecum tops the list with the $18MM he will earn as part of his extension. Mike also compiled a list of the largest remaining arbitration cases.
- For the 2011-12 offseason, players and owners agreed to modify the procedure for Type A free agents. Ben examined how the modified Type A free agents fared under the new rules.
- There were just a handful of free agents who cost their new teams draft picks this winter.
- Tim's fantasy site, RotoAuthority, is back in action with a great team of writers. Here's a look at some of the staff's work from this past week.
- The Blue Jays agreed to sign right-handed reliever Francisco Cordero to a one-year, $4.5MM contract. The Angels, Phillies, Orioles and Rangers all showed interest in Cordero leading up to today's agreement, MLBTR learned.
- Ben conducted MLBTR's weekly chat on Wednesday and if you missed out, you can check out the transcript right here.
- Teams exercised a total of 19 player options after the 2011 season and two of those players have since been dealt. Ben provided a closer look into the circumstances surrounding the two trades.
Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL East Notes: Mets, Marlins, Phillies, Blevins Overnight Links: Padres, Rule 5, Rockies, Iglesias Mariners Make Jesus Montero, Justin Smoak Available NL Central Notes: Cubs, Cards, Weeks, Carpenter Free Agent Rumors: Cruz, Benoit, Valverde, Giants Latest On Jeff Samardzija Matt Garza Could Sign By Weekend Fernando Rodney Seeking $10MM Per Year Doug Fister's Hidden Value To The Nationals Yankees Turned Down Gardner-For-Phillips Swap Looking At The Market For Kendrys Morales Minor Moves: Wilk, Martin, Hottovy Blue Jays Agree To Sign Tomo Ohka Braves Avoid Arbitration With Jordan Walden Quick Hits: Dodgers, Arroyo, Giants, Axford
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors