Here's a look back at the original reporting and analysis produced by our writing staff this week..
- This week, MLBTR rolled out the brand-new Extension Tracker. The extension tracker shows all contract extensions, whether they cover the player's arbitration years, free agent years, or both. Please note that some of the data prior to 2011 is still in the process of being added, such as service time, position, and number of options.
- On Saturday morning, agent Bob Garber told Tim Dierkes that there is "no chance" of Roy Oswalt relieving in 2012. There have been reports that the Cardinals are nearing a deal with the veteran, but this stance indicates that they would have to trade a current starter or move one to relief.
- The Diamondbacks agreed to a one-year, $1.795MM deal with Brad Ziegler, avoiding arbitration, MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith learned. The right-handed reliever was arbitration eligible for the second time this offseason after earning $1.25MM last year.
- The Reds signed arbitration eligible reliever Nick Masset to a two-year extension and Ben reported that the deal is worth a guaranteed $5.5MM and includes performance bonuses.
- With Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols off of the market, Joey Votto is officially the next MVP-caliber first baseman scheduled to hit free agency. Ben examined what it would take for the Reds to lock Votto up on a new deal.
- After giving Eric Hosmer $6MM as the third overall pick in 2008, it's clear that the Royals expect great things out of the 22-year-old. The Royals have bigger fish to fry than extending Hosmer but a long-term deal could help prevent the prospect from pricing himself out of Kansas City down the line, writes Mike Axisa.
- Mike rounded up the best from around the web in this week's edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- Ben gave us a look at 2012's highest-paid arbitration eligible players. Tim Lincecum tops the list with the $18MM he will earn as part of his extension. Mike also compiled a list of the largest remaining arbitration cases.
- For the 2011-12 offseason, players and owners agreed to modify the procedure for Type A free agents. Ben examined how the modified Type A free agents fared under the new rules.
- There were just a handful of free agents who cost their new teams draft picks this winter.
- Tim's fantasy site, RotoAuthority, is back in action with a great team of writers. Here's a look at some of the staff's work from this past week.
- The Blue Jays agreed to sign right-handed reliever Francisco Cordero to a one-year, $4.5MM contract. The Angels, Phillies, Orioles and Rangers all showed interest in Cordero leading up to today's agreement, MLBTR learned.
- Ben conducted MLBTR's weekly chat on Wednesday and if you missed out, you can check out the transcript right here.
- Teams exercised a total of 19 player options after the 2011 season and two of those players have since been dealt. Ben provided a closer look into the circumstances surrounding the two trades.
Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
MLBTR Originals NL West Notes: Mattingly, Goldschmidt, Gregorius East Notes: Braves, Brignac, Cabrera Week In Review: 5/12/13 - 5/18/13 AL West Notes: Profar, Astros, Mariners Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment NL Central Notes: Hart, Choo, Arroyo, Cardinals Minor Moves: Barry Enright, Bill Hall Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber West Notes: Kershaw, Rockies, Rangers, Astros Quick Hits: Cardinals, Braves, Starting Pitching Market Rays Notes: Price, Odorizzi, Loney, Johnson Draft Notes: Astros, Renfroe, Appel Central Notes: Twins, Reynolds, Gomes, Choo Minor Moves: Wilson, Beimel, Parraz, Velazquez, Bell
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors