It's time to take a look back at the week that was as we get closer and closer to Opening Day..
- The Rangers agreed to terms with Derek Holland on a five-year, $28.5MM contract extension. The deal covers the 2012-16 seasons and includes two club options, as MLBTR's Tim Dierkes first reported. Holland posted a 3.95 ERA with 7.4 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 and a 46.4% ground ball rate in 198 innings this past season.
- Chipper Jones' 19th season in the majors will also be the final one of his career. The Braves announced that their 39-year-old third baseman will retire following the 2012 campaign. Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle (536) and Eddie Murray (504) are the only switch hitters with more career home runs than Jones.
- The Angels are reportedly emerging as the frontrunner for Roy Oswalt's services. Meanwhile, it doesn't look like he'll wind up with the Cardinals or Rangers.
- The Royals acquired outfielder Jason Bourgeois and catcher Humberto Quintero from the Astros for minor league left-hander Kevin Chapman and a player to be named later. Bourgeois posted a .294/.323/.357 line with 31 stolen bases last year, while playing all three outfield positions and appearing at second base. The 30-year-old will be arbitration eligible for the first time after the 2012 season.
- There's an "understanding" between the Giants and Matt Cain that they'll try to wrap up contract extension talks before the Opening Day.
- The Giants are telling teams they're shopping both Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot.
- The elbow injury to Reds closer Ryan Madson will require Tommy John surgery, ending the right-hander's season.
- The Padres and catcher Nick Hundley agreed to terms on a three-year extension. The deal covers the 2012-14 seasons and includes a club option for 2015.
- The Red Sox are monitoring the market for left-handed reliever Mike Gonzalez.
- The Mets would like to trade Mike Pelfrey, though it's not clear how serious they are about that.
- Don't expect the D'Backs to to get deals done with Ian Kennedy or Daniel Hudson.
- Jeff Moorad stepped down as the Padres' CEO and President and COO Tom Garfinkel will assume CEO duties on an interim basis. Moorad will stay on as vice chairman and oversee the Padres' relationship with FOX Sports San Diego.
- The Orioles are shopping right-handed reliever Kevin Gregg and corner infielder Mark Reynolds. Both players are under contract for 2012 with club options for 2013.
- The Rangers "might prefer" to keep some of the extra arms on their pitching staff rather than make a trade.
- The Phillies announced that they released right-hander Joel Pineiro. He signed a minor league deal with the Phillies in January and would have earned $1.5MM on the MLB roster.
- The Mets agreed to a $162MM settlement with Irving Picard, the trustee for those who lost money in Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme.
- The Angels signed David Pauley to a minor league contract. Meanwhile, they continue to look for starting pitching depth.
- The Mariners cut veteran Hong-Chih Kuo.
- Vladimir Guerrero intends to play this season and Japan is an option.
- The Dodgers designated right-hander Ramon Troncoso for assignment in order to reinstate Ronald Belisario from the restricted list.
- The Indians claimed right-hander Rick VandenHurk off of waivers from Toronto.
- The White Sox re-acquired Rule 5 selection Terry Doyle from the Twins. The Twins paid $50K to acquire Doyle in December and they'll get half of that sum back from the White Sox.
- The Orioles signed Dontrelle Willis to a minor league contract and will make $700K in the big leagues.
- The Nationals signed Xavier Nady to a minor league deal.
- The Mariners announced that they have released reliever Shawn Camp. The 36-year-old signed a Major League deal worth $750K in February.
- The Tigers announced claimed left-hander Kelvin De La Cruz off of waivers from the Indians.
- Joe Torre has rejoined Major League Baseball as its executive VP of baseball operations.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency Diamondbacks Outright Alex Sanabia
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors