It's time to take a look back at the week that was as we get closer and closer to Opening Day..
- The Rangers agreed to terms with Derek Holland on a five-year, $28.5MM contract extension. The deal covers the 2012-16 seasons and includes two club options, as MLBTR's Tim Dierkes first reported. Holland posted a 3.95 ERA with 7.4 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 and a 46.4% ground ball rate in 198 innings this past season.
- Chipper Jones' 19th season in the majors will also be the final one of his career. The Braves announced that their 39-year-old third baseman will retire following the 2012 campaign. Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle (536) and Eddie Murray (504) are the only switch hitters with more career home runs than Jones.
- The Angels are reportedly emerging as the frontrunner for Roy Oswalt's services. Meanwhile, it doesn't look like he'll wind up with the Cardinals or Rangers.
- The Royals acquired outfielder Jason Bourgeois and catcher Humberto Quintero from the Astros for minor league left-hander Kevin Chapman and a player to be named later. Bourgeois posted a .294/.323/.357 line with 31 stolen bases last year, while playing all three outfield positions and appearing at second base. The 30-year-old will be arbitration eligible for the first time after the 2012 season.
- There's an "understanding" between the Giants and Matt Cain that they'll try to wrap up contract extension talks before the Opening Day.
- The Giants are telling teams they're shopping both Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot.
- The elbow injury to Reds closer Ryan Madson will require Tommy John surgery, ending the right-hander's season.
- The Padres and catcher Nick Hundley agreed to terms on a three-year extension. The deal covers the 2012-14 seasons and includes a club option for 2015.
- The Red Sox are monitoring the market for left-handed reliever Mike Gonzalez.
- The Mets would like to trade Mike Pelfrey, though it's not clear how serious they are about that.
- Don't expect the D'Backs to to get deals done with Ian Kennedy or Daniel Hudson.
- Jeff Moorad stepped down as the Padres' CEO and President and COO Tom Garfinkel will assume CEO duties on an interim basis. Moorad will stay on as vice chairman and oversee the Padres' relationship with FOX Sports San Diego.
- The Orioles are shopping right-handed reliever Kevin Gregg and corner infielder Mark Reynolds. Both players are under contract for 2012 with club options for 2013.
- The Rangers "might prefer" to keep some of the extra arms on their pitching staff rather than make a trade.
- The Phillies announced that they released right-hander Joel Pineiro. He signed a minor league deal with the Phillies in January and would have earned $1.5MM on the MLB roster.
- The Mets agreed to a $162MM settlement with Irving Picard, the trustee for those who lost money in Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme.
- The Angels signed David Pauley to a minor league contract. Meanwhile, they continue to look for starting pitching depth.
- The Mariners cut veteran Hong-Chih Kuo.
- Vladimir Guerrero intends to play this season and Japan is an option.
- The Dodgers designated right-hander Ramon Troncoso for assignment in order to reinstate Ronald Belisario from the restricted list.
- The Indians claimed right-hander Rick VandenHurk off of waivers from Toronto.
- The White Sox re-acquired Rule 5 selection Terry Doyle from the Twins. The Twins paid $50K to acquire Doyle in December and they'll get half of that sum back from the White Sox.
- The Orioles signed Dontrelle Willis to a minor league contract and will make $700K in the big leagues.
- The Nationals signed Xavier Nady to a minor league deal.
- The Mariners announced that they have released reliever Shawn Camp. The 36-year-old signed a Major League deal worth $750K in February.
- The Tigers announced claimed left-hander Kelvin De La Cruz off of waivers from the Indians.
- Joe Torre has rejoined Major League Baseball as its executive VP of baseball operations.
Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo Reds Designate Corky Miller For Assignment Cubs Release Kameron Loe Astros Release Rick Ankiel Blue Jays Designate Edgar Gonzalez For Assignment Pirates Release Jonathan Sanchez
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa Twins Release Rafael Perez Draft Notes: Gray, Manaea, Twins, White Sox Padres Don't Intend To Trade Chase Headley Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment A's Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Astros Open To Extension With Jose Altuve Minor Moves: Humber, Jeroloman, Boyer Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Halladay, Porcello, Dodgers Hanshin Tigers Pursuing David Aardsma Free Agent Stock Watch: Edward Mujica Best Command Among 2014 Free Agents Trade Candidate: Bud Norris
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors