It's time to take a look back at the week that was as we get closer and closer to Opening Day..
- The Rangers agreed to terms with Derek Holland on a five-year, $28.5MM contract extension. The deal covers the 2012-16 seasons and includes two club options, as MLBTR's Tim Dierkes first reported. Holland posted a 3.95 ERA with 7.4 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 and a 46.4% ground ball rate in 198 innings this past season.
- Chipper Jones' 19th season in the majors will also be the final one of his career. The Braves announced that their 39-year-old third baseman will retire following the 2012 campaign. Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle (536) and Eddie Murray (504) are the only switch hitters with more career home runs than Jones.
- The Angels are reportedly emerging as the frontrunner for Roy Oswalt's services. Meanwhile, it doesn't look like he'll wind up with the Cardinals or Rangers.
- The Royals acquired outfielder Jason Bourgeois and catcher Humberto Quintero from the Astros for minor league left-hander Kevin Chapman and a player to be named later. Bourgeois posted a .294/.323/.357 line with 31 stolen bases last year, while playing all three outfield positions and appearing at second base. The 30-year-old will be arbitration eligible for the first time after the 2012 season.
- There's an "understanding" between the Giants and Matt Cain that they'll try to wrap up contract extension talks before the Opening Day.
- The Giants are telling teams they're shopping both Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot.
- The elbow injury to Reds closer Ryan Madson will require Tommy John surgery, ending the right-hander's season.
- The Padres and catcher Nick Hundley agreed to terms on a three-year extension. The deal covers the 2012-14 seasons and includes a club option for 2015.
- The Red Sox are monitoring the market for left-handed reliever Mike Gonzalez.
- The Mets would like to trade Mike Pelfrey, though it's not clear how serious they are about that.
- Don't expect the D'Backs to to get deals done with Ian Kennedy or Daniel Hudson.
- Jeff Moorad stepped down as the Padres' CEO and President and COO Tom Garfinkel will assume CEO duties on an interim basis. Moorad will stay on as vice chairman and oversee the Padres' relationship with FOX Sports San Diego.
- The Orioles are shopping right-handed reliever Kevin Gregg and corner infielder Mark Reynolds. Both players are under contract for 2012 with club options for 2013.
- The Rangers "might prefer" to keep some of the extra arms on their pitching staff rather than make a trade.
- The Phillies announced that they released right-hander Joel Pineiro. He signed a minor league deal with the Phillies in January and would have earned $1.5MM on the MLB roster.
- The Mets agreed to a $162MM settlement with Irving Picard, the trustee for those who lost money in Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme.
- The Angels signed David Pauley to a minor league contract. Meanwhile, they continue to look for starting pitching depth.
- The Mariners cut veteran Hong-Chih Kuo.
- Vladimir Guerrero intends to play this season and Japan is an option.
- The Dodgers designated right-hander Ramon Troncoso for assignment in order to reinstate Ronald Belisario from the restricted list.
- The Indians claimed right-hander Rick VandenHurk off of waivers from Toronto.
- The White Sox re-acquired Rule 5 selection Terry Doyle from the Twins. The Twins paid $50K to acquire Doyle in December and they'll get half of that sum back from the White Sox.
- The Orioles signed Dontrelle Willis to a minor league contract and will make $700K in the big leagues.
- The Nationals signed Xavier Nady to a minor league deal.
- The Mariners announced that they have released reliever Shawn Camp. The 36-year-old signed a Major League deal worth $750K in February.
- The Tigers announced claimed left-hander Kelvin De La Cruz off of waivers from the Indians.
- Joe Torre has rejoined Major League Baseball as its executive VP of baseball operations.
White Sox To Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays To Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers To Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox To Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson From Orioles For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners To Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins To Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants To Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins To Sign Ricky Nolasco Reds To Re-Sign Manny Parra Dodgers Sign Dan Haren Rays Sign Jose Molina Cardinals Sign Jhonny Peralta
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Loney Emerging As Pirates' Top Target At First Base Yankees Close To Signing Kelly Johnson Royals, Rays, Dodgers Interested In Mark Ellis White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Mets' Talks With Granderson Intensify Reds Unlikely To Trade Brandon Phillips Quick Hits: Granderson, Beltran, Trumbo, Cano AL West Notes: Kemp, Mariners, Choo, Astros Reactions To Jacoby Ellsbury's $153MM Deal With Yankees Central Notes: Beltran, Hart, Konerko, Twins Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Red Sox To Sign A.J. Pierzynski Phillies Acquire Brad Lincoln
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors