Here's a look back at the week that was on MLBTR...
- Yankees closer Mariano Rivera suffered a torn ACL and will likely miss the remainder of the 2012 season. Despite the devastating injury, Rivera stressed to reporters that he's not going out like this and that he fully intends to pitch again.
- In perhaps the most significant trade of the young season, the Angels acquired Ernesto Frieri from the Padres in exchange for minor leaguers Alexi Amarista and Donn Roach. It was well-known that the Halos were looking for bullpen help, and they managed to secure a controllable right-hander with tremendous strikeout numbers, though he could miss the vast dimensions of Petco Park.
- In a more minor trade, the Rangers acquired outfielder Ryan Spilborghs from the Indians and assigned the former Rockie to Triple-A Round Rock. Cleveland will receive cash in exchange.
- Continuing their search for third base help, the Athletics inked Brandon Inge, who had been released by the Tigers the previous week. Inge hit his first Oakland homer today.
- In a similar move, the Dodgers signed a recently-released former All-Star when they inked Bobby Abreu to a minor league contract. Abreu will see some time in the outfield and serve as a bat off the bench.
- An extension is possible for the Dodgers and Andre Ethier, who told the team's new ownership that he'd be willing to negotiate a deal midseason rather than waiting until the winter. Ethier could be in line for as much as $90MM over six years.
- The Orioles are close to bringing Miguel Tejada back to the organization. He'll sign a contract with his former team this week, assuming he can pass a physical on Monday.
- Delmon Young's trip to the restricted list will cost him a week without pay -- roughly $260K in salary. The Tigers' left fielder was involved in an alcohol-related confrontation on the team's recent road trip to New York.
- Marlins reliever Juan Oviedo (formerly Leo Nunez) will now be suspended for eight weeks -- not six -- upon securing a visa and returning to the United States. Ovideo's punishment is the result of pitching under an assumed identity (Nunez).
- The list of Tommy John victims continued to grow, as the Orioles announced this week that Tsuyoshi Wada will undergo the procedure and miss the 2012 season. Wada signed a two-year, $8.15MM contract with Baltimore this offseason and pitched just 2 2/3 innings.
- He may not have a place in the everyday lineup currently, but Brandon Belt won't be traded anywhere, according to Giants GM Brian Sabean.
- Neither of the players in the Padres' double-play tandem -- Jason Bartlett or Orlando Hudson -- are part of the team's long-term plans. Both are candidates to be traded, or perhaps even released.
- The Yankees signed Cuban outfielder Adonis Garcia to a minor league deal worth $400K. Garcia had been rumored to be in line for a potential eight-figure deal last year, but scouts now question his ability to be a big league regular.
- The Twins claimed outfielder Erik Komatsu off waivers from the Cardinals and designated Clete Thomas to make room for him on the 25-man roster. Komatsu made his Twins debut in right field this weekend.
- The Rays signed a familiar face, inking Hideki Matsui to a minor league contract. Matsui will report to extended Spring Training for the time being.
- Jorge Cantu opted out of his minor league deal with the Angels and elected free agency early last week. He is now free to sign with any team.
- Once thought to be a potential closer candidate, Zach Braddock has instead received his release papers from the Brewers. The 24-year-old lefty hasn't pitched since Spring Training for undisclosed medical reasons.
- The Reds took a flier on former elite setup man Michael Wuertz, signing the injury prone right-hander to a minor league contract.
- Not to be outdone, the Red Sox one-upped Cincinnati's gamble by signing Mark Prior to a minor league deal. Prior has attempted numerous comebacks without success.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera AL West Notes: Pujols, Elias, Mariners' Payroll, Astros Agent Says D'Backs Should Promote Archie Bradley Rays' Matt Moore To Undergo Tommy John Surgery
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors