Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Let's take a look back at the week that was here on MLBTR...
- Adam Jones can claim the distinction of being the second-highest paid center fielder in MLB (only behind Matt Kemp). His extension eclipses Miguel Tejada's six-year, $72MM deal as the largest contract in Orioles history. Jones, 27 in August, is currently enjoying a career year as he's hitting .311/.357/.601 in 196 plate appearances. The Orioles officially announced his six-year, $85.5MM extension this afternoon.
- The Diamondbacks and catcher Miguel Montero agreed to a five-year $60MM contract extension, making him the highest-paid player in Arizona history. Montero, 29 in July, had a breakout season in 2011 when he was named to his first All-Star team and hit .282/.351/.469 on the year. It's been a busy year for catchers receiving hefty extensions as the Cardinals and Yadier Molin struck a five-year, $75MM deal in March.
- The White Sox signed veteran infielder Orlando Hudson to a one-year deal. The Padres recently released the 34-year-old former All-Star, who will now provide the White Sox with depth at third base and second base.
- A return to the Pirates has failed to reinvigorate Nate McLouth's career as Pittsburgh designated the veteran outfielder for assignment after his offensive struggles with the Braves followed him to PNC Park. McLouth was traded to the Braves from the Pirates in June 2009 and spent two-plus years in Atlanta.
- The Diamondbacks designated Cody Ransom for assignment and the Brewers claimed the infielder on waivers to obtain depth at shortstop. Ransom, 36, has enjoyed success in limited action with Arizona as he posted a .269/.345/.577 batting line in 58 plate appearances.
- Bill Hall was unable to build upon his first at-bat success with the Orioles. He homered in his first trip to the plate as an Oriole, but Baltimore designated the utility player for assignment this week and then outrighted him to Triple-A Norfolk.
- The Angels designated David Pauley for assignment after the right-hander pitched ineffectively out of the bullpen for Los Angeles. Pauley, 28, was outrighted to Triple-A Salt Lake by the Halos after clearing waivers.
- Released by the Cardinals earlier in the season, veteran reliever J.C. Romero signed a minor league deal with the Orioles and will report to Triple-A Norfolk.
- After some early season struggles, right-hander Jason Marquis was designated for assignment by the Twins. Through seven starts in 2012, Marquis posted an ERA of 8.47 with 3.2 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9.
- The Marlins are looking for outfield help after announcing that Emilio Bonifacio will miss four to six weeks due to surgery on his left thumb. They may have found an option when they acquired outfielder Justin Ruggiano, who has been hitting exceptionally well at Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Looking to improve infield depth, the Pirates acquired Drew Sutton from the Braves for cash considerations. Plans changed a day later as Pittsburgh flipped Sutton for a player to be named from the Rays.
- D.J Carrasco's tenure with the Mets came to a close this week when the team released the veteran reliever after recently designating him for assignment.
- With nearly as many walks (11) as strikeouts (12) in 18 innings out of the bullpen, right-hander Collin Balester was designated for assignment by the Tigers.
Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman Quick Hits: White Sox, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies NL East Notes: Phillies, Lee, Nationals, Mets Commenting Policy AL East Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Ellsbury Blue Jays Release Miguel Batista Minor Moves: Cotts, Boyer, Barton Draft Notes: Manaea, Outfielders MLBTR Chat Transcript Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Jose Altuve Rejoins Octagon; Leaves Boras Choo Not Thinking About Long-Term Deal Injury Updates On 2014 Free Agent Starters Midseason Top Prospect Trades
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors