Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Let's take a look back at the week that was here on MLBTR...
- Adam Jones can claim the distinction of being the second-highest paid center fielder in MLB (only behind Matt Kemp). His extension eclipses Miguel Tejada's six-year, $72MM deal as the largest contract in Orioles history. Jones, 27 in August, is currently enjoying a career year as he's hitting .311/.357/.601 in 196 plate appearances. The Orioles officially announced his six-year, $85.5MM extension this afternoon.
- The Diamondbacks and catcher Miguel Montero agreed to a five-year $60MM contract extension, making him the highest-paid player in Arizona history. Montero, 29 in July, had a breakout season in 2011 when he was named to his first All-Star team and hit .282/.351/.469 on the year. It's been a busy year for catchers receiving hefty extensions as the Cardinals and Yadier Molin struck a five-year, $75MM deal in March.
- The White Sox signed veteran infielder Orlando Hudson to a one-year deal. The Padres recently released the 34-year-old former All-Star, who will now provide the White Sox with depth at third base and second base.
- A return to the Pirates has failed to reinvigorate Nate McLouth's career as Pittsburgh designated the veteran outfielder for assignment after his offensive struggles with the Braves followed him to PNC Park. McLouth was traded to the Braves from the Pirates in June 2009 and spent two-plus years in Atlanta.
- The Diamondbacks designated Cody Ransom for assignment and the Brewers claimed the infielder on waivers to obtain depth at shortstop. Ransom, 36, has enjoyed success in limited action with Arizona as he posted a .269/.345/.577 batting line in 58 plate appearances.
- Bill Hall was unable to build upon his first at-bat success with the Orioles. He homered in his first trip to the plate as an Oriole, but Baltimore designated the utility player for assignment this week and then outrighted him to Triple-A Norfolk.
- The Angels designated David Pauley for assignment after the right-hander pitched ineffectively out of the bullpen for Los Angeles. Pauley, 28, was outrighted to Triple-A Salt Lake by the Halos after clearing waivers.
- Released by the Cardinals earlier in the season, veteran reliever J.C. Romero signed a minor league deal with the Orioles and will report to Triple-A Norfolk.
- After some early season struggles, right-hander Jason Marquis was designated for assignment by the Twins. Through seven starts in 2012, Marquis posted an ERA of 8.47 with 3.2 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9.
- The Marlins are looking for outfield help after announcing that Emilio Bonifacio will miss four to six weeks due to surgery on his left thumb. They may have found an option when they acquired outfielder Justin Ruggiano, who has been hitting exceptionally well at Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Looking to improve infield depth, the Pirates acquired Drew Sutton from the Braves for cash considerations. Plans changed a day later as Pittsburgh flipped Sutton for a player to be named from the Rays.
- D.J Carrasco's tenure with the Mets came to a close this week when the team released the veteran reliever after recently designating him for assignment.
- With nearly as many walks (11) as strikeouts (12) in 18 innings out of the bullpen, right-hander Collin Balester was designated for assignment by the Tigers.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Minor Moves: Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors