On this date in 2009, the Pirates lost to the Cubs and became the first team in baseball history to clinch their 17th consecutive losing season. They eclipsed the 1933-1948 Phillies for the longest streak of futility in baseball history. Pittsburgh ran that streak to 19 straight last season, but they need to win just ten of their final 24 games this year to clinch their first winning record since 1992. Here's the latest links from around the web…
- District on Deck is okay with the Nationals shutting down Stephen Strasburg.
- MLB Reports thinks the Red Sox should be cautious about pursuing Josh Hamilton.
- Wahoo's on First says Melky Cabrera would be a great fit for the Indians.
- Yanks Go Yard wrote about Curtis Granderson's eventual free agency.
- NASORB mused about Hisashi Iwakuma and his impending free agency.
- Sodo Mojo listed some offseason targets for the Mariners.
- Burning Down The Yard analyzed the Orioles payroll flexibility.
- Rising Apple thinks the Mets should bring Mike Pelfrey back in 2013.
- Blogging Mets wonders if the Mets can swing a Red Sox-type of dump trade.
- Rays Colored Glasses wrote about B.J. Upton's walk year.
- MLB Injury News tries to figure out what's wrong with Ian Kennedy.
- MLB Prospect Watch wrote about the D'Backs' dilemma with Adam Eaton.
- Full Spectrum Baseball has some thoughts on the waiver trade period.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.