Players selected in the annual Rule 5 Draft must remain on their new team's 25-man active roster all season, or be passed through waivers and offered back to their original club. Here's an update on the 12 players taken in the Major League portion of last December's draft...
- Rhiner Cruz, RHP, Astros (from Mets) -- The 25-year-old has worked out of the Houston bullpen all season and owns a 6.80 ERA in 47 2/3 innings.
- Terry Doyle, RHP, Twins (from White Sox) -- Doyle was returned to the ChiSox in Spring Training and he's since moved on to a team in Japan.
- Lucas Luetge, LHP, Mariners (from Brewers) -- The 25-year-old southpaw has turned into a reliable bullpen weapon, pitching to a 3.13 ERA in 37 1/3 innings while holding left-handed hitters to a .169/.267/.169 batting line.
- Ryan Flaherty, IF, Orioles (from Cubs) -- Flaherty, 26, has spent time on the DL this season but has otherwise hit .211/.252/.309 in 135 plate appearances for Baltimore.
- Cesar Cabral, LHP Yankees (from Red Sox via trade with Royals) -- Cabral has been on the DL all season with an elbow injury.
- Lendy Castillo, RHP, Cubs (from Phillies) -- The 23-year-old missed considerable time with a groin strain and owns a 10.22 ERA in 12 1/3 innings for Chicago.
- Gustavo Nunez, IF, Pirates (from Tigers) -- Nunez has been on the DL all season with an ankle injury.
- Robert Fish, LHP, Braves (from Angels) -- Fish has been on the DL all season with an elbow injury.
- Erik Komatsu, OF, Cardinals (from Nationals) -- The 24-year-old hit .211/.286/.211 in 21 plate appearances with St. Louis, was claimed off waivers by the Twins, hit .219/.297/.219 in 37 plate appearances with Minnesota, then was returned to the Nationals in May.
- Marwin Gonzalez, IF, Astros (from Cubs via trade with Red Sox) -- Gonzalez spent some time on the DL but has otherwise hit .234/.280/.328 in 215 plate appearances with Houston.
- Brett Lorin, RHP, Diamondbacks (from Pirates) -- Arizona retained Lorin after a Spring Training trade with Pittsburgh.
- Brad Meyers, RHP, Yankees (from Nationals) -- Meyers has been on the DL all season with a shoulder injury.
Cruz, Luetge, Flaherty, Castillo, and Gonzalez will become property of their current teams once the season ends, meaning they can go to the minors without having to clear waivers in the future. Players who not spend at least 90 days on the active (non-DL) roster like Cabral, Nunez, Fish, and Meyers will still be subject to the Rule 5 Draft rules next season.