The latest on the Diamondbacks as General Manager Kevin Towers and Managing General Partner Ken Kendrick opened up a bit on the club's plans..
- Towers told Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com that he has a very open-minded approach to improving the roster and wouldn't rule out a trade of Justin Upton. However, finding the right deal could prove to be difficult. "It's probably going to be very difficult to move him. We've explored it the last couple of years and there wasn't a deal that presented itself that made sense, that we felt was going to make us better," said Towers.
- Kendrick had a similar take in an interview today on KTAR radio, tweets Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic. "I would think it’s highly likely that we’ll see Justin Upton in a Diamondbacks uniform next year," Kendrick said. Kendrick also emphasized the club's never-say-never attitude to trades (Twitter link).
- Kendrick seemed to give a less-than-enthusiastic evaluation of right-hander Trevor Bauer. "In an employer/employee situation it’s incumbent on employee to make adjustments to satisfy the needs of the employer," said Kendrick, according to Piecoro (via Twitter).
- When asked if Bauer has a future with the D'Backs, Kendrick responded, "Well he has talent," (via Twitter). Kendrick wasn't asked to expound on his specific issues with the former third-overall pick.
- The club has time to decide on J.J. Putz's $6.5MM option for next season, but Towers termed it a "no-brainer" based on his performance this year and the going rate for closers of his caliber. If Arizona has a sudden change of heart, Putz can be bought out for just $1.5MM.
- Despite falling short of expectations this season, Towers told Bloom that he still believes that the club isn't far from contending once again. The GM also chalked up some of the disappointment for the 2012 season to raised expectations heading into the year.
- Asked about his shopping list for this offseason, Towers said that he will likely target a shortstop to replace Stephen Drew. He doesn't see Willie Bloomquist as a full-time answer given his injury history and John McDonald probably couldn't fill the void at the age of 38. Beyond that, Towers would like to bolster the pitching, but any veteran pitching they acquire would happen via trade. Towers will also look to upgrade at third base this winter.
- Towers won't completely rule out a return for Drew via free agency, but it's not likely seeing as how they already opted to move him this year.
- In general, Towers believes that he will look to improve via trade rather than free agency. The club could free up additional cash by moving an outfielder as they are high on both A.J. Pollock and Adam Eaton, though they should already have enough money to contend next season as it stands.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Arizona Diamondbacks | J.J. Putz | Justin Upton | Stephen Drew | Trevor Bauer
Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Phillies To Sign Roberto Hernandez Giants To Sign Mike Morse Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Central Notes: Jackson, Pelfrey, Garza, Butler Rockies Close To Signing Boone Logan Dodgers Notes: Kemp, Phillips, Gordon, Kasten Rosenthal On Gardner, Kemp, Drew, Mariners Blue Jays Notes: Rasmus, Samardzija, Anthopoulos Yankees Offered Infante Three Years, $24MM Royals, Blue Jays Discussed Billy Butler Trade Rockies Close To Deal With Logan, Talking To Howell Mets Notes: Axford, Gregg, Drew, Payroll Red Sox Designate Alex Castellanos AL West Notes: Rangers, Morrison, Veras, Astros Padres, Indians Competing For Joaquin Benoit Three Teams Have Two-Year Offers To Balfour Minor Moves: Andrew Werner, Manny Pina Orioles Acquire David Freitas To Complete Jim Johnson Trade
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors