With teams already wheeling and dealing, let's take a break from the action to catch up on the week that was here at MLBTR...
- David Ortiz and the Red Sox reached agreement on a two-year deal worth $26MM. Ortiz, who turns 37 in just over two weeks, posted a .318/.415/.611 batting line in 383 plate appearances this past season.
- The Marlins hired Mike Redmond to be their next manager. The 41-year-old obtains a three-year deal to replace Ozzie Guillen in Miami as the Marlins look to rebound from a disappointing 2012 season.
- The Tigers agreed to extend manager Jim Leyland through the 2013 season. Leyland's contract expired once the Tigers lost the World Series.
- Nine players received a qualifying offer from their teams as the deadline passed on Friday. Players presented with the one-year, $13.3MM offer now have until November 9th to accept the deal. If the player turns down the offer and signs elsewhere, the team will get a compensatory draft pick in June.
- Ervin Santana and the Angels parted ways as the Royals acquired the veteran hurler in exchange for minor league left-hander Brandon Sisk. The 29-year-old posted a 5.16 ERA with 6.7 K/9, 3.1 BB/9 and a 43.2% ground ball rate in 178 innings this past season.
- The A’s re-signed right-handed pitcher Bartolo Colón to a one-year contract with a base salary of $3MM plus incentives. Colon turned in a 3.43 ERA with 5.4 K/9 and 1.4 BB/9 through 24 starts before a positive test for testosterone landed him a 50-game suspension in August.
- The Dodgers re-signed reliever Brandon League to a $22.5MM deal over three years. In 28 appearances for the Dodgers last season, the California native posted a 2.30 ERA with 8.9 K/9 and 4.6 BB/9.
- The Blue Jays acquired Esmil Rogers from the Indians for Mike Aviles and Yan Gomes. The move fills a hole for each club, as Toronto gets pitching depth while Cleveland gets infield depth.
- Ryan Madson declined his half of a mutual option for 2013 with the Reds. The option was worth $11MM, and he'll instead receive a $2.5MM buyout.
- The Mariners re-signed reliever Oliver Perez to a one-year contract worth $1.5MM with the opportunity to earn $600K more in incentives. He posted a 2.12 ERA in 29 2/3 innings with 7.3 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 in 2012.
- The Brewers signed minor league free agent Michael Olmsted and placed him on the 40-man roster. Olmsted, 25, pitched to a 1.52 ERA with 14.0 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9 in 59 1/3 relief innings between Double-A and Triple-A in the Red Sox's system last year.
- The Mariners agreed to a new deal with right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma that will extend him through 2014 with an option for 2015. The 31-year-old posted a 3.16 ERA with 7.3 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 16 starts and 14 relief appearances in 2012.
- White Sox GM Rick Hahn's first move in his new position resulted in a two-year, $29MM contract extension with Jake Peavy. In 219 innings Peavy posted a 3.37 ERA with 8.0 K/9 and 2.0 BB/9.
- The Angels declined their option on Dan Haren's contract for 2013 after nearly dealing him to the Cubs. The hurler will now enter the open market with a $3.5MM buyout rather than a $15.5MM salary with the Angels next season.
- The Padres designated left-hander Josh Spence for assignment. Spence, 24, appeared in 11 games for the Padres this season but spent the bulk of the year in Triple-A where he posted a 4.20 ERA with 6.6 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9 in 31 appearances.
- The Royals designated right-hander Jeremy Jeffress, left-hander Tommy Hottovy and outfielder Jason Bourgeois for assignment. Bourgeois appeared in 30 games with Kansas City this past season, posting a .258/.303/.323 batting line in 66 plate appearances.
Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Notes: Orioles, Red Sox, Ellsbury Antonetti on Bourn, Bauer, Pitching Draft Notes: Astros, Appel, Gray, Cubs, Harvey Minor Moves: Dustin Martin, Josh Horton West Links: Dodgers, Ethier, Norberto, Mariners Derek Lowe Clears Waivers NL Central Links: Garcia, Carpenter, Garza Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury Haven't Talked Extension Yankees Notes: Kuroda, Bullpen, Adams Poll: The Next 2012 First-Rounder To Be Called Up Orioles To Promote Kevin Gausman Quick Hits: White Sox, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies NL East Notes: Phillies, Lee, Nationals, Mets Commenting Policy AL East Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Ellsbury
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors