A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR this past week as we wind down 2012:
- Stephen Drew told reporters, including MLBTR's Zach Links, he turned down opportunities for a multi-year contract to sign a one-year deal with the Red Sox because Boston was the best fit due in part to the chance to play alongside Dustin Pedroia.
- Alex Esteban, the agent for free agent infielder Yuniesky Betancourt, told MLBTR he is currently having coversations with four teams and expects his client to sign a Major League contract shortly after the holidays.
- Mike Axisa updated the status of the seven unsigned players on MLBTR's Top 50 Free Agents list.
- Zach asked MLBTR readers which of those seven will sign next. Nearly 41% of you believe Adam LaRoche will be the first to put pen to paper.
- But will that paper be a three-year contract? More than 55% of MLBTR readers say no.
- Mike listed the remaining free agent power hitters, contact hitters, and ground ball pitchers.
- Zach did likewise with the remaining free agent bullpen strikeout artists and inning-eating starters.
- Mike asked MLBTR readers whether the Red Sox and Mike Napoli will finalize their three-year, $39MM agreement. Over 57% of you say the deal will fall through.
- Zach examined 2012's five worst offensive teams and how they have tried to improve themselves this offseason.
- Zach profiled the moves the 80-89 Win Club members who failed to make the playoffs have made this winter.
- Mark Polishuk revisited some of the major transactions that have taken place on December 28th in recent years.
- December 29th has seen its share of major transactions, as well. Zach looked back at the free agent signings of Jason Bay by the Mets and Barry Zito by the Giants.
- Zach reminisced about the Mets' acquisition of Mo Vaughn 11 years ago this week from the Angels for Kevin Appier.
- Mike hosted this week's chat.
- Mike compiled this week's edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors