After a jam-packed week at the Winter Meetings, let's take a break from the action to catch up on the week that was in Nashville...
- The Mets and David Wright officially finalized the largest contract in franchise history. The Mets extended Wright for seven years and $122MM in new money, which can be considered an eight-year, $138MM deal if the value of Wright's previously-exercised 2013 club option is included.
- The Reds agreed to sign outfielder Ryan Ludwick to a two-year contract worth $15MM. The 34-year-old posted a .275/.346/.531 batting line with 26 home runs in 472 plate appearances for the Reds this past season.
- The Giants agreed to re-sign second baseman Marco Scutaro to a three-year, $20MM deal. The veteran was greatly aided by a strong finish, as he hit .362/.385/.473 in 268 regular season plate appearances with the Giants after coming over in a July trade with the Rockies.
- Outfielder Angel Pagan agreed to a four-year, $40MM contract to remain with the Giants. Pagan bounced back from a down 2011 season and was valued at nearly five wins above replacement in 2012, providing all-around production.
- The Giants exercised their 2014 options on GM Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy. Sometime next year the Giants will initiate extension talks for Bochy and Sabean beyond 2014, president and CEO Larry Baer told reporters.
- The Diamondbacks agreed to sign right-hander Brandon McCarthy to a two-year deal worth $15.5MM. When healthy, McCarthy pitched well, posting a 3.24 ERA with 5.9 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in 111 innings.
- The Nationals reached an agreement to sign Dan Haren to a one-year deal worth $13MM. After posting a 3.33 ERA in 170 games over the course of five seasons from 2007 to 2011, Haren recorded the worst full-season ERA of his career in 2012, with a 4.33 mark.
- The Cubs reached an agreement with Japanese closer Kyuji Fujikawa. The two-year, $9.5MM contract includes a club/vesting option for 2015.
- The Braves agreed to a one-year deal with outfielder Reed Johnson. Johnson, 36 on Saturday, hit .290/.337/.398 in 288 plate appearances for the Cubs and Braves this year.
- The Twins locked up one of their best relievers by signing Jared Burton to a two-year, $5.5MM extension with a $3.6MM club option for 2015. Burton would have been entering a walk year in 2013, so the contract buys out one free agent year with an option for another.
- The Cubs re-signed third baseman Ian Stewart to a one-year deal worth $2MM. The 27-year-old is said to be back to full health after playing with a broken bone in his wrist for the last two years.
- The Red Sox agreed to a one-year deal with reliever Koji Uehara worth $4.25MM. Uehara, 38 in April, posted a 1.75 ERA, 10.8 K/9, 0.8 BB/9, 1.00 HR/9, and 32.5% groundball rate in 36 innings this year, missing time with a strained lat muscle.
- The Rays signed James Loney to a one-year deal worth $2MM, plus an additional $1MM in incentives. The 28-year-old CAA client batted .249/.293/.336 with six homers in 465 plate appearances for the Dodgers and Red Sox in 2012.
- The Phillies acquired outfielder Ben Revere from the Twins in exchange for starting pitcher Vance Worley. Revere, 24, hit .294/.333/.342 in 553 plate appearances for the Twins this year, stealing 40 bags in 49 tries.
- The Angels agreed to terms with righty Joe Blanton on a two-year, $15MM deal. Blanton, 31, posted a 4.71 ERA, 7.8 K/9, 1.6 BB/9, 1.37 HR/9, and 44.6% groundball rate in 191 innings for the Phillies and Dodgers this year.
- The Rockies agreed to a one-year, Major League deal with lefty Jeff Francis. The contract includes a $1.5MM base salary with incentives that could push the value up to $3MM.
- The Angels reinforced their bullpen by reaching an agreement with lefty Sean Burnett on a two-year deal with a club option. Burnett, 30, had been drawing strong interest as one of the best free agent lefty relievers available this offseason.
- The Pirates acquired lefty Andrew Oliver from the Tigers for catcher Ramon Cabrera. Oliver, 25, was drafted by the Tigers in the second round in 2009.
- The Cardinals reached a contract agreement with lefty reliever Randy Choate. The deal spans three years and will pay Choate a total of $7.55MM.
- The Braves exercised their one-year option for manager Fredi Gonzalez. The move ensures Gonzalez is locked up through the 2014 season.
- The Diamondbacks strengthened their corner infield positions by adding Eric Chavez on a one-year, $3MM deal.
- The Mariners reached an agreement to sign left fielder Jason Bay to a one-year, $1MM deal. An annual 30 home run threat when he signed with the Mets, Bay hit just .234/.318/.369 in 1,125 plate appearances for them from 2010-12.
- Jeff Keppinger greatly improved his stock in 2012, going from a non-tender a year ago to a three-year, $12MM contract with the White Sox.
- The Orioles reached an agreement to retain Nate McLouth on a one-year, $2MM deal with $500K in incentives. McLouth had a nice run for the O's, hitting .268/.342/.435 in 236 plate appearances this season.
- The Diamondbacks signed Wil Nieves to be their backup catcher. Nieves' deal will be for one year and $800K.
- The Rays acquired a new shortstop, getting Yunel Escobar from the Marlins for middle infield prospect Derek Dietrich. Escobar, a 30-year-old Cuban, hit .253/.300/.344 in 608 plate appearances for the Blue Jays this year.
- The Rockies added a late-inning reliever by acquiring Wilton Lopez, and a player to be named later or cash from the Astros for starter Alex White and minor leaguer Alex Gillingham.
- Joakim Soria, 28, officially signed a two-year, $8MM deal with the Rangers, which includes a club option for 2015. Soria owns a 2.40 ERA, 9.7 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 0.68 HR/9, and 160 saves in 315 1/3 career innings.
- The Red Sox agreed to terms with Shane Victorino on a three-year, $39MM contract. The 32-year-old slipped this year to a .255/.321/.383 line for the Phillies and Dodgers.
- The Diamondbacks signed first baseman/outfielder Eric Hinske to a one-year contract. The 35-year-old struggled with the Braves this year, posting a .197/.272/.311 line in 147 plate appearances.
- The Rays avoided arbitration with infielder Sean Rodriguez, agreeing to terms on a one-year, $1MM deal. The utility infielder spent extensive time at second base, shortstop, and third base for Tampa Bay in 2012, posting a slash line of .213/.281/.326 in 342 plate appearances.
- The Rangers signed catcher Geovany Soto that will pay the veteran will pay Soto $2.75MM, with incentives giving him the chance to earn $3MM. Soto, 29, had a .198/.270/.343 batting line with 11 home runs in 361 plate appearances for the Rangers and Cubs last season.
- The Red Sox reached an agreement on a three-year contract with Mike Napoli worth $39MM over the life of the deal. Napoli had a down year by his standards for the Rangers in 2012, hitting .227/.343/.469.
- The Nationals re-signed left-hander Zach Duke to a Major League contract. Duke spent most of the 2012 season with the Nats' Triple-A affiliate in Syracuse, posting a 3.51 ERA in 26 starts for the Chiefs.
- The Padres agreed to sign Jason Marquis to a one-year deal worth $3MM. The 34-year-old posted a 4.04 ERA over the course of 15 starts with San Diego this season.
Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Notes: Astros, Renfroe, Appel Central Notes: Twins, Reynolds, Gomes, Choo Minor Moves: Wilson, Beimel, Parraz, Velazquez, Bell East Notes: Braves, Mets, Ellsbury, Yankees West Notes: Chavez, Astros, Angels, Mattingly Rosenthal On Cubs, Brewers, Marlins Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins NL Notes: Stauffer, Phillies, Cubs, Hairston Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors