Here's a look back at the last (full) week of 2012..
- The Pirates sent Joel Hanrahan and infielder Brock Holt to the Red Sox in exchange for reliever Mark Melancon, first baseman/outfielder Jerry Sands, infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr., and right-hander Stolmy Pimentel. Hanrahan, 31, pitched to a 2.72 ERA with 10.1 K/9 and 5.4 BB/9 in 59 2/3 innings for Pittsburgh last season.
- Nick Swisher signed a four-year, $56MM deal with the Indians on Sunday. The slugger's contract includes a $14MM vesting option in year five if he has 550 plate appearances in 2016. That would boost the overall value to $70MM.
- The Red Sox agreed to sign Mike Napoli to a three-year, $39MM deal in the first week of December, but have yet to finalize the deal over concerns about his hip. With the agreement in limbo, another club has expressed interest in the catcher, though no offer has been extended.
- Meanwhile, the Red Sox are looking at Adam LaRoche as a Plan B. The first baseman still wants to return to the Nationals, but is frustrated that he has yet to reach an agreement with them. LaRoche wants a three-year deal but Washington and Boston say they won't go past two.
- Hideki Matsui decided to call it a career after ten years in the majors.
- The Mariners inked Raul Ibanez to a one-year deal worth $2.75MM and $1.25MM in incentives.
- Matt Diaz signed a minor league deal with the Yanks that will pay him $1.2MM if he makes the big league roster.
- The Brewers agreed to sign Mike Gonzalez to a one-year contract worth $2.25MM plus incentives.
- The Padres are talking with Brett Myers and would use him in his preferred role of starter.
- The Orioles are still talking with free agent hurler Joe Saunders.
- Five teams have reached out to Derek Lowe.
- The Marlins signed John Maine to a minor league deal.
- The Cubs signed Hisanori Takahashi to a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training.
- Former Giants closer Brian Wilson is generating lots of interest.
- The Mets signed Aaron Laffey to a minor league contract.
- The O's and manager Buck Showalter are close to a contract extension.
- The Rays are looking for a bat.
- Takashi Saito is returning to Japan.
- The Mets want bullpen help.
- Ugueth Urbina is out of prison and hopes to pitch again.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Teams Wield Advance Consent Hammer Hanrahan Talking With Multiple Clubs Following Showcase Minor Moves: Rafael Perez, Adam Loewen, Matt Neil Jeremy Jeffress Elects Free Agency White Sox Designate Donnie Veal For Assignment California Notes: Ramirez, Billingsley, Puig, Athletics AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors