Here are today's most notable signings from Day 2 and Day 3 of the draft (slot information courtesy of Baseball America)...
- The Royals signed fourth round draft pick Zane Evans, Baseball America's Jim Callis tweets. Evans signed for $400K, below the $450.4K assigned slot value for the 114th overall pick. Evans was both a catcher and a right-handed relief pitcher at Georgia Tech and Callis believes Kansas City will use him as a catcher.
- The Reds have signed third-rounder Mark Armstrong, Callis reports (via Twitter). Armstrong, a high school right-hander who had committed to Pitt, signed for exactly his assigned slot value of $496K.
- The Mariners have signed St. John's left-hander Ryan Horstman, Callis reports (via Twitter). Horstman, one of the few college freshmen eligible for the draft, was taken in the fourth round by the M's and signed for $550K, a significant bump up from his slotted price of $437.6K.
- Junior college right-hander Kenyan Middleton tweeted that he has officially signed with the Angels earlier today. Middleton, the No. 95 overall pick, is advised by Tripper Johnson of Sosnick & Cobbe. His slot carries an assigned pick value of $541K.
- The Cardinals signed third-rounder Mike Mayers for a little more than a $500K bonus -- about $58K below his assigned pick value -- according to Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Mayers is a right-hander out of Ole Miss.
- Baseball America's Jim Callis tweets that the Phillies signed fourth-rounder Jake Sweaney for $400K. Sweaney's deal is $21K below slot. The high school catcher was committed to Oregon and has a plus arm with power potential in his bat.
- The Twins signed third-rounder Stuart Turner for a $550K bonus that is well below the No. 78 pick's assigned value of $703K, Callis tweets. The Mississipi backstop was regarded as the best catch-and-throw college catcher in this year's draft, and Callis notes that he had a strong year at the plate too.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca reports that the Cardinals have agreed to an over-slot deal with 10th-rounder Malik Collymore. The Canadian high school second baseman will receive a $275K signing bonus, which is significantly larger than the recommended $135K.
- Eleventh-round selection Spencer Navin also received a significantly over-slot deal, tweets Callis. The Dodgers gave the Vanderbilt backstop $300K -- three times the $100K maximum for draft picks after the 10th round. Players drafted after the 10th round don't count toward a team's bonus pool as long as they sign for $100K or less. In other words, the $200K excess to sign Navin will count against the Dodgers' draft pool.
- The Astros have signed fourth-round pick Conrad Gregor for a bonus of $482K, tweets Callis. The Vanderbilt first baseman has good patience and athleticism but has yet to tap into his power, Callis adds. Gregor signed for full slot value.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: 2013 Amateur Draft | Cincinnati Reds | Houston Astros | Kansas City Royals | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Los Angeles Dodgers | Minnesota Twins | Philadelphia Phillies | Seattle Mariners | St. Louis Cardinals | Transactions
Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Red Sox, Coghlan, Beltran Rangers Moving Toward Deal With J.P. Arencibia West Notes: Cano, Angels, Rockies, Hudson Minor Moves: Clay Rapada Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson New York Notes: Granderson, Aoki, Choo Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal Yankees Optimistic About Hiroki Kuroda's Return White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Mariners Could Offer Cano $225MM NL Notes: Braves, Cubs, Phillies, Pirates, Mets Central Notes: Aoki, Hughes, Dunn Twins Sign Phil Hughes Rangers Sign Jose Contreras Rays Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors