28-year-old Diamondbacks righty Ian Kennedy is having an off year, but he is under team control through 2015 as an arbitration eligible player. The latest:
- Double-A reliever Matt Stites is in the Padres' offer for Kennedy, tweets Darren Smith of XX1090.
- The Angels still believe they have a shot at Kennedy, tweets Ken Rosenthal. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic says the D'Backs and Padres are closing in on a Kennedy trade, however. The D'Backs would get Thatcher and two minor leaguers, notes Miller.
- The Padres are getting closer to a deal for Kennedy, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.
- There are legs to the Kennedy to San Diego rumors, tweets Yahoo's Jeff Passan, who says Thatcher would be one of the players going to Arizona. The Padres are in active discussions to acquire Kennedy, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Speaking on 620 KTAR today, D'Backs GM Kevin Towers said, "I'm fairly confident that there will be some trade news involving the Diamondbacks probably by the end of the day."
- Kennedy to the Padres "could happen," hears Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.
- The D'Backs could move Kennedy as a way to improve the back end of their bullpen, writes Scott Miller of CBS Sports. They've inquired with the Padres on Luke Gregerson and Joe Thatcher.
- The D'Backs are still considering offers for Kennedy even with potential replacement Jake Peavy landing in Boston, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The Angels would love Kennedy and the Padres are also in.