On this date in 1987, A’s first baseman Mark McGwire became the first rookie to hit 30 home runs before the All-Star Game, as Leo Panetta of NationalPastime.com writes. McGwire would go on to finish the season with 49 homers, establishing a new rookie watermark, beating the previously shared record by Wally Berger and Frank Robinson (39). Here’s this week’s look around the baseball blogosphere..
- Inside The ’Zona delved into Robbie Ray’s recent success and his new sinker.
- Baseball Essential says Justin Upton should be a target for the Rays.
- Did The Tribe Win Last Night looked at the downside of the Indians’ rebuild.
- Reviewing The Brew wonders where Mike Fiers’ fastball went.
- Blue Jays Plus gives you a guide for hating the AL East.
- The Point Of Pittsburgh laid out the case for the Pirates batting the pitcher 8th.
- Fantasy Pros looked at Nolan Arenado’s power surge.
- BASTA wonders what happened to Jean Machi.
- Know Hitter says the Tigers have won the Yoenis Cespedes/Rick Porcello deal.
- Tomahawk Take remembered the Braves’ longest day.
- The First Out At Third says teams should go for Jonathan Broxton.
- Sodo Mojo looked at who’s hot and who’s not in Seattle.
Please send submissions to Zach at [email protected]