Is Ike Davis on his way out of New York? Earlier today, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote that a deal involving Davis appears likely while Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported yesterday that the Orioles, Astros, Rays, Rockies, and Brewers are all interested. More on the Mets..
- There is "a good possibility" the Mets will sign Alfredo Aceves, ESPN's Buster Olney tweets. We heard yesterday that the Mets were amongst the team interested in the reliever.
- Terry Collins said the club's top offseason priority is to find a middle-of-the-order bat to protect David Wright, ESPN New York's Adam Rubin reports. The manager expects his team to also look at adding some starting pitching and adopt "the Red Sox model" of signing multiple mid-tier free agents
- No one will take the Mets seriously until they spend money and sign a free agent, writes David Lennon of Newsday. Despite that, GM Sandy Alderson says that he doesn't feel any undue pressure. "Do I sense it? Yeah, to some extent," Alderson said. "Do I tune it out? Yes, to the largest extent possible. Because for us this is a day-to-day proposition and it's not that predictable, so I sort of have to take it out of the equation. I sense it, but work through it."
- In the face of Scott Boras' job comparing the Mets to NASA – an outfit that has big rockets but few astronauts – signing Jhonny Peralta would be a great way for them to launch their offseason, writes Ken Davidoff of the New York Post. The Mets met with the free agent shortstop yesterday.
- Alderson isn't looking to tie up big bucks in just a few players, writes Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal.