- Chris Davis Suspended 25 Games
- Reds, Brewers Complete Broxton Trade
- Ron Washington Resigns As Rangers Manager
- Angels Exercise 2015 Option On Jerry Dipoto
- Diamondbacks Fire Kevin Towers
- Rockies Extend Jorge De La Rosa
- Dodgers Promote Joc Pederson
- Astros Fire Bo Porter
- Adam Dunn To Retire After Season
- Brewers Acquire Jonathan Broxton
- Athletics Acquire Adam Dunn
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- 2014-15 Free Agent Leaderboards
- Red Sox Notes: Tomas, Castillo, Uehara, Alvarez
- Astros Notes: Managers, Appel, Martinez, Rasmus
- Mets Links: Tomas, Payroll, Backman
- NL West Notes: Trumbo, Pennington, Maybin
- NL Central Links: Cueto, Arrieta, Zarraga, Brewers
- Multiple Teams Change Minor League Affiliations
- Rangers Notes: Washington, Young, Manager, Tomas
- Nationals Claim Pedro Florimon From Twins
- Nationals Designate Eury Perez For Assignment
- West Notes: Deadline, D’backs, Gibson, Stewart, Angels
- East Notes: Rasmus, Gee, Flores, Tomas
- Central Notes: Aramis, Indians, Perkins
- Phillies Notes: Burnett, Tomas, Offseason Needs
- AL East Notes: Walker, Maeda, Uehara, Castillo, Melky, Rays
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Dusty Brown Rumors
Here are today's minor moves from around baseball:
- Left-hander Erick Hurtado has signed a minor-league deal with the Blue Jays, Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports. The 19-year-old has limited professional experience, logging just 12 1/3 innings in two seasons for Astros and Yankees affiliates, but stands an imposing 6' 4".
- The Pirates have brought in catcher Erick Fernandez on a minor-league deal, according to Eddy. The 25-year-old was released by the Nationals on July 22. He has a career .224/.294/.264 line in three seasons for Nationals affiliates.
- The A's inked catcher Dusty Brown to a minor-league contract, Eddy reports. Brown saw sporadic Major League playing time from 2009-2011, but hasn't reached the big leagues since and did not play at all in 2013.
- The Angels have signed catcher Anderson de la Rosa to a minor-league deal, per Eddy. The 29-year-old catcher has never reached the majors, spending his entire career in the Brewers system.
- The Brewers have signed outfielder Jeremy Hermida and infielder Joe Thurston to minor-league contracts, according to a team release. Hermida, formerly an everyday player with the Marlins, played the entire 2013 for Triple-A Columbus in the Indians organization, batting .247/.365/.416. Thurston collected 307 plate appearances for the Cardinals in 2009 and last appeared in the big leagues in 2010. He played in Mexico in 2013.
- Pitcher Barry Enright tweets that he has signed with the Phillies. Enright, who will be 28 in March, struggled in 2013, posting a 7.12 ERA with 6.0 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9 in 116 1/3 innings with Triple-A Salt Lake. He also appeared in four games with the Angels. The righty pitched in the Diamondbacks rotation for parts of the 2010 and 2011 seasons.
Aaron Steen contributed to this post.
A total of 22 players that finished the year in Triple-A elected free agency after the end of the regular season according to the transaction pages of the Pacific Coast and International Leagues. All but one of those 22 players (Matt Carson, formerly of the Rays) played in the big leagues this season. Here's the full list:
Dusty Brown (Pirates), Travis Buck (Indians), Armando Galarraga (D'Backs), Jay Gibbons (Dodgers), Edgar Gonzalez (Rockies), Steve Holm (Twins), Wil Ledezma (Blue Jays), Andy LaRoche (Athletics), Felipe Lopez (Brewers), Lastings Milledge (White Sox), Pat Misch (Mets), Pat Neshek (Padres), Mike O'Connor (Mets), Matt Palmer (Angels), Felix Pie (Orioles), Brad Snyder (Cubs), Brett Tomko (Rangers), Wyatt Toregas (Pirates), P.J. Walters (Blue Jays), Randy Williams (Red Sox), and Reggie Willits (Angels).
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Andy LaRoche | Arizona Diamondbacks | Armando Galarraga | Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Brett Tomko | Chicago Cubs | Chicago White Sox | Cleveland Indians | Colorado Rockies | Dusty Brown | Edgar Gonzalez | Felipe Lopez | Felix Pie | Jay Gibbons | Lastings Milledge | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Mike O'Connor | Milwaukee Brewers | Minnesota Twins | New York Mets | Oakland Athletics | P.J. Walters | Pat Misch | Pat Neshek | Pittsburgh Pirates | Randy Williams | Reggie Willits | San Diego Padres | Tampa Bay Rays | Texas Rangers | Toronto Blue Jays | Transactions | Travis Buck | Wilfredo Ledezma | Wyatt Toregas
Here's a list of the latest players to be outrighted to the minor leagues…
The Pirates have designated catcher Dusty Brown for assignment, according to a team press release. The move was made in order to create space for catcher Eric Fryer who is being called up from Triple-A Indianapolis.
Brown, 29, played in 11 games for the Pirates this season. In parts of five Triple-A seasons, the catcher has a .259/.340/.394 slash line.
The Pirates signed Fernando Nieve, Andy Marte and Dusty Brown to minor league deals and invited them to Spring Training, the team announced. Nieve, 28, pitched 42 innings in 2010, posting a 6.00 ERA with 8.1 K/9 and 4.7 BB/9 before the Mets granted him free agency. The right-hander has allowed 1.6 homers per nine innings over the course of his four-year MLB career.
Marte, a former top prospect, failed to make an impact in parts of five seasons with the Indians. Now 27, the third baseman has a .218/.277/.358 line in 924 career plate appearances. The Indians released him last month.
Brown, 28, appeared in seven games for the 2010 Red Sox, but has spent most of his ten-year career in the minors. He has a .259/.340/.389 line in a decade's worth of minor league plate appearances. The Red Sox dropped him from their 40-man roster in October.
Dusty Brown, Kevin Cash and Robert Manuel have all been removed from Boston's 40-man roster, reports WEEI's Alex Speier. The three players will all be eligible for free agency five days after the last game of the World Series.
Brown has played in a total of 13 career major league games (all over the last two seasons) and has been in Boston's minor league system for the past decade. The catcher has a .729 OPS in 2759 minor league plate appearances.
Cash was acquired from Houston in July to give the injury-plagued Sox some catching depth. Though he managed just a .374 OPS in 68 plate appearances, Cash "received raves from the Sox for his clubhouse impact," according to Speier. It was Cash's second stint in Boston and the eight-year major league veteran is likely to get a minor-league deal from another club looking for an experienced backup option.
Manuel posted a 4.26 ERA in 10 relief appearances for the Red Sox in 2010. Originally signed by the Mets in 2005, the right-hander has also pitched in the Cincinnati and Seattle systems, getting a three-game big league cup of coffee with the Reds in 2009. Given Manuel's impressive minor league numbers (2.70 ERA, 4.90 K/BB ratio, 8.1 K/9 rate in 214 appearances, 23 of them starts), you'd have to think the 27-year-old Houston native will get a look from another club.