Trade Rumors Apps
- Diamondbacks To Sign Yasmany Tomas
- Rays Sign Ernesto Frieri
- Red Sox Sign Pablo Sandoval
- Red Sox Sign Hanley Ramirez
- Josh Willingham Announces Retirement
- Mariners, Kyle Seager Agree To Seven-Year, $100MM Extensiont
- White Sox Sign Adam LaRoche
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Minor Moves: Belisario, Phillies, Boesch, Carrera
- Offseason Outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Diamondbacks To Sign Yasmany Tomas
- Yasmany Tomas Rumors: Wednesday
- Latest On Cole Hamels
- Shortstop Rumors: Rollins, Tulo, Dodgers, Miller
- Royals Acquire Ryan Jackson From Dodgers
- Reds Notes: Promotions, Free Agents, Frazier, Leake
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Episode 8
- Rays Sign Ernesto Frieri, Designate Sean Rodriguez
- Orioles Acquire Scott Barnes
- Indians Out On Headley, Interested In Morales, Denorfia
- Marlins Seek First Base Upgrade Via Trade
- Padres Focusing On Trade Market, Yasmany Tomas
- Kia Tigers Reject Bid For Hyeon-jong Yang
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Kevin Cash Rumors
The Astros have signed catcher Kevin Cash to a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training, according to MLB.com's Brian McTaggart.
The 32-year-old was once Tim Wakefield's personal catcher, though he spent last season with the Yankees. Cash is a career .186/.248/.287 hitter in close to 600 big league plate appearances, though his minor league numbers are much more respectable. With only two catchers on the 40-man roster (J.R. Towles and Humberto Quintero), all it takes is an injury for Cash to make the Opening Day roster.
Links for Monday…
- Offers have begun rolling in for Aroldis Chapman, says ESPN's Keith Law. Also, MLB.com's Carrie Muskat says the Cubs talked to Chapman's agent but he "doesn't fit in their budget."
- ESPN's Peter Gammons tweets that Red Sox Director of Player Development Mike Hazen declined Jed Hoyer's offer to become the Padres' assistant GM.
- MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan says the Rangers "refused to rule out the possibility of Milton Bradley coming back to Texas." Sullivan wasn't willing to allow the possibility a month ago, when he wrote, "The Rangers are not interested in Bradley. Sources have made that clear. He is not coming back. So stop it." Back in September, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram said Bradley "pushed himself way down the wish list with his comments, and probably pushed himself off it completely."
- R.J. Anderson of DRays Bay reflects on the Matt Garza-Delmon Young trade.
- Aaron Gleeman runs through free agent second baseman options for the Twins. Also check out our free agent and trade candidates posts for second base.
- Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times talked to former Rays GM Chuck LaMar about the trade that sent Chad Gaudin to the Blue Jays for Kevin Cash.
According to Peter Abraham of The Journal News, the Yankees have released catcher Kevin Cash. The move frees up a spot on the 40-man roster for Josh Towers, who was recalled today.
Cash, 32, hit .250/.308/.558 in 28 plate appearances for the Bombers this year. He's spent most of the year with Triple-A Scranton, and is currently out with a shoulder injury.
MLBTR hosted a discussion on the Yankees' catching situation yesterday that drew a nice response. With Jorge Posada and Jose Molina sidelined, the Bronx Bombers are stuck with a real lack of depth behind the plate. As Ben Nicholson-Smith explained, the club could either decide to let Francisco Cervelli and Kevin Cash man the position until Posada returns, sign a veteran free agent, or make a trade.
Peter Abraham of The Journal News asked Yankees GM Brian Cashman which course of action he'll take on Friday night, and it appears the Yanks have decided to wait out the storm. "A trade would be difficult at this point," admitted the general manager.
Cervelli, a 23-year-old from Venezuela, went 1-for-4 with a walk and a run scored to help in a 4-0 victory over the Orioles on Friday. He also did a fine job flashing signals for CC Sabathia, and should get the majority of starts behind the plate. "This is a talented young man," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "I know how difficult it is to catch the ace when you're a rookie. He did a great job."
Cash, 31, has more experience than Cervelli, but boasts a .184 carrer batting average in the big leagues and has virtually no upside. He was signed to a minor league contract this winter.