- Dodgers Acquire Darwin Barney
- Giants Acquire Jake Peavy
- Cardinals Sign A.J. Pierzynski
- Yankees Acquire Chris Capuano
- Mariners Acquire Kendrys Morales
- Tigers Acquire Joakim Soria
- Yankees Acquire Chase Headley
- David Price Rumors
- Troy Tulowitzki Rumors
- Jon Lester Rumors
- Matt Kemp Rumors
- Jonathan Papelbon Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Latest On Cardinals’ Pitching Search
- Rockies Plan To Keep LaTroy Hawkins
- Ryan Zimmerman Has Grade 3 Hamstring Strain
- Jon Lester Scratched From Tomorrow’s Start
- Quick Hits: Cards, Fish, Willingham, Sox, Kemp, Lindstrom
- Phillies Have Not Had “Meaningful Dialogue” On Hamels
- Diamondbacks Shopping Gerardo Parra
- Dodgers Designate Scott Elbert For Assignment
- Minor Moves: Joe Saunders, George Kottaras, Matt Guerrier
- Rays “Talking And Willing” To Trade David Price
- Astros Open To Trading Keuchel, McHugh, Cosart
- Orioles-Nationals Television Dispute Reaches Litigation
- Matt Cain To See Dr. James Andrews
- Nightengale’s Latest: Hamels, Phillies, Dodgers, Lester, Price
- Stark’s Latest: Lester, Burnett, Lee, Kennedy, Lackey, Suzuki
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Khalil Greene Rumors
Links for Saturday…
- Jason Michaels is confused by the lack of interest from the Pirates, who have said they want him back.
- Khalil Greene says he’s frustrated to have let the Padres down and Tim Sullivan writes that it wasn’t for lack of intensity. The Padres still won’t be dropping their grievance against Greene.
- Buster Olney expects Mark Prior to sign a minor-league deal with the Padres.
- Jason Beck writes that the Tigers could afford to trade either Jeff Larish or Matt Joyce in a deal for Jack Wilson. Detroit has other weaknesses to address though, so Beck thinks they could hold onto their trade chips and sign a player like Adam Everett.
- Arbitration could work for both Jason Varitek and the Red Sox, suggests Sean McAdam.
- Tony Massarotti has five reasons to keep Justin Masterson in the bullpen.
- The Angels signed South Korean righty Pil Joon Jang to a minor league contract.
- Jay Jaffe plays Yankees GM at Baseball Prospectus.
- MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo ranks the best Rule 5 Draft selections since 1990.
- Tom Verducci looks back at the career Greg Maddux had.
Links for Friday…
- The Rays signed three to minor league deals: Jason Childers, Jeremy Cummings, and Chris Richard.
- I chatted on the phone with Jesse Spector of the New York Daily News yesterday.
- ESPN’s Keith Law suggests the best fits for the top five free agents.
- Dave Cameron thinks the Cardinals did well on the Khalil Greene trade. Viva El Birdos also likes it.
- Richard Justice feels the Astros will trade Ty Wigginton. Maybe the Twins could be a match. By the way, the Astros signed Matt Kata to a minor league deal.
- Rany Jazayerli is happy with Royals owner David Glass.
9:25pm: Just wanted to mention that this deal has been finalized. For the player to be named later, the Padres will choose from a list of three players (two of them pitchers). Padres exec Paul DePodesta weighed in on the deal at his blog. Next on the agenda: acquire a replacement shortstop. Kevin Towers prefers the trade route.
1:17pm: MLB.com’s Corey Brock says it’ll be Worrell and a player to be named later.
12:48pm: Scout.com writer Dustin Mattison sent along this interview with Cardinals reliever Mark Worrell. Worrell is quite confident in his abilities and seems upset that the Cardinals didn’t give him more of a chance this year. Pure speculation, but Mattison wonders if he could be one of the relievers headed to San Diego for Greene.
8:15am: One of the relievers in the trade is right-handed, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
THURSDAY, 1:08am: Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune says the Padres have reached an agreement to send Greene to the Cardinals. Krasovic believes clearing Greene’s salary may improve the chances of the Padres retaining Jake Peavy.
WEDNESDAY, 10:41pm: Sherman has an update: the Padres are closing in on a deal that will send Greene to the Cardinals for two relief prospects.
8:29pm: According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Padres are expected to trade shortstop Khalil Greene prior to Monday’s Winter Meetings. Sherman was unable to ascertain Greene’s destination, but he guesses it could be the Orioles or Cardinals. The Padres are intent on clearing Greene’s $6.5MM salary.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers continue to have interest in Rangers catcher Gerald Laird. Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News says the Tigers "seem to have the most ardent interest" in Laird, and a trade could save Texas nearly $3MM. Grant believes the Reds are another possibility; would they trade Homer Bailey for him? Laird, a Scott Boras client, is under team control for two more seasons.
Morosi says the Tigers also like Miguel Montero of the D’Backs, but the teams don’t seem to match up well. Another note – Morosi says the Tigers are not interested in Padres shortstop Khalil Greene.
According to Jeff Zrebiec and Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles appear to be the third team in the Jake Peavy-Cubs trade talks. Kevin Towers told Tim Brown earlier this week he may have found the third team.
According to the Sun, one scenario could have the Cubs sending Felix Pie to Baltimore for Garrett Olson, who would become part of the Cubs’ package for Peavy. The Orioles once targeted Pie during the Brian Roberts talks, while the Padres wanted Olson for Khalil Greene. No deal is imminent. The authors add that acquiring Pie would not affect the Orioles’ pursuit of Mark Teixeira, even if some current team members lose playing time.
Joe Christensen brings us the latest on the Twins, but unfortunately there’s not much going on.
- Christensen learned from a Padres official that there’s been very little dialogue with the Twins. Some have suggested Kevin Kouzmanoff and Khalil Greene would be fits for Minnesota. Hopefully they’re setting their sights higher.
- On the Casey Blake front: slight progress.
- The Twins have an arbitration decision to make by Monday’s deadline with Dennys Reyes, who is a Type B. The Twins won’t get burned badly if Reyes accepts, so I imagine they’ll offer. He probably wants two years somewhere instead.
Let’s check in on the Padres.
- SI.com’s Jon Heyman talked to GM Kevin Towers, who doesn’t anticipate a deal for Khalil Greene anytime soon. The market for free agent shortstops is buzzing right now, so it makes sense to wait until after the top guys sign.
- MLB.com’s Corey Brock says Towers can’t move to address other team needs until the Jake Peavy situation is resolved. The package for Peavy will likely fill multiple pitching needs, and then Towers can move on to free agent bargains and a backup catcher.
- Sean McAdam has a Padres article up at ESPN.com, describing the sad state of affairs.
According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles have contacted shortstop Cesar Izturis‘ agent to express interest. Zrebiec believes the 28 year-old defensive whiz tops their list. Izturis earned $3.05MM this year.
The Orioles have also had trade discussions for Khalil Greene and Bobby Crosby. The Padres requested Garrett Olson for Greene, and the Orioles passed.
Zrebiec says the Orioles are not interested in Rafael Furcal, Orlando Cabrera, or Edgar Renteria. If they spend big on a free agent, it’ll be A.J. Burnett or Mark Teixeira. However, Furcal’s agent Paul Kinzer said yesterday that the O’s are one of six teams to have shown interest in his client.
Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail has a few Blue Jays rumors, hidden at the bottom of his column today.
- The Jays have kicked the tires on Padres shortstop Khalil Greene, who will almost certainly be dealt if San Diego acquires Yunel Escobar. Greene is coming off an awful season and is set to earn $6.5MM, so he shouldn’t be too hard to pry loose.
- Free agents Jason Giambi and Brad Penny are on the Jays’ radar.
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun has a few Orioles notes today.
- Danys Baez, who hasn’t pitched since 2006, would like to prepare as a starter for 2008. Andy MacPhail is open to the idea; the Orioles have more open spots in their rotation than their bullpen. Baez is set to earn $5.5MM in ’09, the last year of his deal. Starting is where the money’s at, unless you get a chance to close.
- The Orioles are interested in Khalil Greene, but prefer a long-term solution at shortstop.
- Nothing new on the extension front for Nick Markakis and Brian Roberts. MacPhail is probably eyeing the Jake Peavy negotiations closely, as the Cubs be out of the running for Roberts if they acquire Peavy.
- Zrebiec speculated recently that the Orioles will sign Cesar Izturis to play short and will eat the $9MM owed to Ramon Hernandez to move him.